Brisket-Packer vs Market Trimmed

Started by tyweb69, May 14, 2014, 10:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyweb69

I have a 5 lb Market trimmed brisket.  Is this going to take less time (per lb) than a packer?  Also, most recipes/techniques I see are for packer so is there anything I should do differently using a market cut (eg, lower cook temp, inject with low sodium broth to keep from drying, etc)?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

tailfeathers

I don't think you need to change anything regarding the prep or temp at which you cook your brisket. If I were doing it I would rub it with your favorite rub then smoke it at around 225, apply smoke the first 3-4 hours, longer if you like more smoke flavor. Take it to an IT of 190ish, FTC it when you take it out of the smoker. Allow yourself plenty of time because if you FTC it you can unwrap it even 6 hours later and it will still very likely be to hot to handle with bare hands. Wrap it tightly in foil, then an old towel, then into the smallest cooler you have that it will fit into. Put a layer of newspaper on top of it before closing the cooler and it will stay hot for a LONG time. I like to spritz my briskets with a little apple juice while in the smoker, and again just before FTCing it.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tyweb69

Awesome thank you for the feedback.  New to this and have only done brisket once (15 lb packer cut.  it was ok, great flavor but on the dry side).  Hopefully I can improve on it this time.

tailfeathers

Another tip: when you unwrap the brisket from the FTC there will likely be a lot of liquid trapped in the foil. Save as much of it as you can, cool it enough to be able to skim off the fat and the remaining jus can be added back to the sliced meat for extra moistness and flavor.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!