Rib Trimmings

Started by jb, April 04, 2014, 02:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb

I'm just wondering what folks do with their trimmings. I went ahead and rubbed them and plan to cook them along with the ribs.

Also, do any of you cut the racks in half so they fit better on the Bradley? Is there any good reason not to do that?

Thanks in advance... I'll post pics.

pondee

Quote from: jb on April 04, 2014, 02:21:15 PM
I'm just wondering what folks do with their trimmings. I went ahead and rubbed them and plan to cook them along with the ribs.

Also, do any of you cut the racks in half so they fit better on the Bradley? Is there any good reason not to do that?

Thanks in advance... I'll post pics.
It's what I do.

RedJada

I give my trimmings to Applebees so they can make their riblets.  ;D ;D ;D JK. I scrap the trimmings, never thought about saving them for something else. Might have to come up with a BBQ smoked rib soup or something. And always cut in half to fit nicely on the racks, dont want them touching the sides of the smoker.

tailfeathers

I also cut my racks in half after removing the membrane and trimming them, but before I rub them. That way the meat exposed when they are cut gets some rub as well. I rub and smoke the trim as well, it goes great in beans! There is a thread in this topic from a while back where I posted a recipe for beans that is my all time favorite, and its even better with some smoked rib trimmin's!
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=34288.0
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

jb

Quote from: tailfeathers on April 04, 2014, 02:49:38 PM
I also cut my racks in half after removing the membrane and trimming them, but before I rub them. That way the meat exposed when they are cut gets some rub as well. I rub and smoke the trim as well, it goes great in beans! There is a thread in this topic from a while back where I posted a recipe for beans that is my all time favorite, and its even better with some smoked rib trimmin's!
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=34288.0

Thanks for the link... I will definitely try out the recipe!

SiFumar

I cook along side sometimes.  Cutting ribs in half is just fine.  More often than not I vac bag and freeze and add to meat I'm grinding for sausage.

NorthShoreMN

I save rib trim and pork belly trim. Most of the time I prep and smoke it along with the rest. As was said above its great with beans, soups etc. some gets zip locked and frozen for stock.
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Habanero Smoker

When cooking ribs in the Bradley, I will cut the last 2 - 3 ribs off the short end, and the whole slab will fit on the rack. It also squares up the slab a little better. If I'm beginning with whole spare ribs, the ribs I cut off I add them to the other trimmings. With the ribs that have been removed and the other trimmings I will remove all cartilage and bone from the meat, seal, and freeze until I have enough to make a few McRibs, or use in a chili or other casseroles.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigRich

X2. Except I throw the rib tips on the grill and eatem while the ribs are smoking.