• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Casings - Pre-flushed vs. Dry Salt Pack?

Started by tskeeter, April 04, 2014, 01:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tskeeter

After seeing you guys talk about the Syracuse Casing tubed casings, I took a look at their web site.  I see they offer the casings in a dry salt pack and as pre-flushed casings.  Is there a reason why I might want the dry salt packed casings rather than pre-flushed and tubed, which seem like they should be ready to use? 

When you use tubed casings, I assume that you remove the tube once the casing has been slid onto the stuffer tube, right?

Sailor

Quote from: tskeeter on April 04, 2014, 01:19:18 PM
After seeing you guys talk about the Syracuse Casing tubed casings, I took a look at their web site.  I see they offer the casings in a dry salt pack and as pre-flushed casings.  Is there a reason why I might want the dry salt packed casings rather than pre-flushed and tubed, which seem like they should be ready to use? 

When you use tubed casings, I assume that you remove the tube once the casing has been slid onto the stuffer tube, right?
When I talked to them a while back the owner said they only sell the pre tubed casings.  They no longer sell the salt packed casings as they ship by mail and they had problems with salt leaking out of the boxes and the post office got pissed.  :o

You will be very happy with the tubed casings and I bet you will never go back to the dry salt pack hanks. 

They are a family run business and they have premium casings and the prices are a lot less than other places.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

tskeeter

Sailor, thanks for the feedback.  Having only once choice makes the choices easier.

Do you have any idea how long a person can store the pre-flushed casings?  Seems I make sausage in small batches and in fits and spurts, so it will likely take more than a year for me to use up casings for 100 pounds of sausage.