1973 Iron Head Sportster

Started by RedJada, February 15, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

Too bad they can't line the pipes with ceramic to prevent the blueing. My Triumph's pipes blue also. But I just leave it, no rechroming unless the chrome is damaged. The ceramic can take the heat better than the steel pipes.

RedJada

The blueing just adds to the character. But if your pipes are turning, then your running too hot....

TedEbear

I had mine black satin ceramic coated a few weeks ago.  It has been sitting in the basement since last November.  They say the ceramic makes the pipes run cooler and adds a bit more hp.  I'll find out in a few days when I wake it from its winter nap.

RedJada

Them look sweet Ted. Please post back on how they work.

Jim O

Put an Andrews Cam in , and it makes it run hotter (and faster),so I'll put up with the blueing,and replate when it gets too bad.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

DaveT261

Quote from: Jim O on April 13, 2014, 08:37:48 AM
Movin' rite along !!

Think I'll uncover mine today. Won't ride it tho' until they wash the salt off the roads. Don't want to get salt residue on my chrome. Gotta say, Harley does a good job on the chrome . Rechrome
my pipes every couple of years to get rid of the blue,but everything else is mint.

Jim
There is no need to add the expense of re-chroming your pipes, get yourself some "Blue Job".  You can get it from Ebay for about 12 or 13 bucks per container.  I use this stuff and I swear by it, it not only removes the bluing it is by far the best chrome polish on the market.  You only get about 1 ounce per container but it goes a long way.  Here is a youtube link for it.  http://youtu.be/ygxPQMfE70s

Jim O

Blue Job - looks interesting !
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !