• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Adding beer into sausage recipes

Started by kayes, April 23, 2014, 04:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kayes

Hi ya'll,

I'm newly registered here, but have been creeping for years. I have a question about adding beer to cured smoked sausage recipes. Can I readily add flat beer instead of water to sausage recipes? Will this change anything with the recipe or introduce any food safety or health issues? I appreciate any and all suggestions!
My name is Kayes, and I love meat.

Salmonsmoker

You can readily add beer to replace the water. There won't be any food safety or health issues. The main consideration is using a beer that is complimentary to the spice/flavor profile of the sausage.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

RexLan

I have 2 bratwurst recipes I use beer in instead of water.  Puts a nice flavor in the sausage and as salmonsmoker said it needs to compliment with the spices.  Example ... it may not go well in a Bologna mix but it will in a German Knackwurst.

Salmonsmoker

Kayes,
Try to find a craft beer and food pairing chart. I have one, but  I can't figure out how to scan it and get it linked to this post. The chart will show you the suggested foods that each beer style pairs well with. That should help you select the right beer.

SS,
Homebrewer, certified beer judge (for real)

NePaSmoKer

You can add just about any liquid. I have used buttermilk and plain yogurt also.

kayes

RAF128

Any liquid is fine.   Last year I made some landyauger.   Used a recipe and spices given to me by my neighbor who is a butcher and sausage maker.   Recipe called for white wine

cobra6223

Butcher-Packer offers a product called dried beer extract. It sounds interesting but I haven't tried it yet and if you go to their site you can read all about it.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: cobra6223 on April 25, 2014, 02:52:23 PM
Butcher-Packer offers a product called dried beer extract. It sounds interesting but I haven't tried it yet and if you go to their site you can read all about it.

I checked it out, and not sure the cost justifies using it when you can grab a craft brew or two and dump in your batch of sausage, unless, you're trying to increase the beer/malt flavor and the batch can't handle the exra liquid. Keeping in mind you're looking for complimentary, not overpowering or dominating. Another tool for the arsenal.

kayes

I did a small test with pork, knackworst spices, jalapeƱos and Guinness stout. I slow cooked it in the oven. It was good but I think I'll do the full smoked batch without the beer.

Salmonsmoker

Try an Oktoberfest, Vienna or German pilsner with the knackwurst.