Store ground meat for sausage?

Started by kayes, April 28, 2014, 11:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kayes

I'm not sure if this is a silly question. I have been wanting to make sausage but my grinder sucks. Is it ok to use ground mean purchased at the store or butcher? I've never done it before.
My name is Kayes, and I love meat.

Skishy

I don't see why not. The only thing I could think of that there maybe a slight texture difference if your doing like a beef/pork sausage. If your using just one meat, I dont see a problem. Though others with more sausage experience should be along shortly.
"Hail to the King, baby!" - Bruce Campbell

2 - 4 rack OBS
1 - Brinkmann Pellet Smoker
1 - Masterbuilt Charcoal smoker

GusRobin

I use GB or ground pork that I get from Publix to make sausage a lot of times.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

NePaSmoKer

Sure why not. Use 80/20, 85/15 GB. Try to buy in the clear wrap meat trays, not the wally chubs

CoreyMac

Quote from: kayes on April 28, 2014, 11:51:00 AM
I'm not sure if this is a silly question. I have been wanting to make sausage but my grinder sucks. Is it ok to use ground mean purchased at the store or butcher? I've never done it before.

I had been using it exclusively but found the stuff I was getting was very fatty. If your supplier can guarantee the fat contents on the ground meat then you are laughing. It does save time. It was pretty much the pork that was too fatty, the beef I use is good. Now I use ground beef and pork shoulder that I grind myself.

Corey

pensrock

I have used store bought ground beef for sticks and they were great. Never tried it for sausages but as long as it is good meat it will be fine. Like Rick said get the stuff you can see not the stuff wrapped in a chub that you cannot see thru.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: CoreyMac on April 28, 2014, 12:46:30 PM

I had been using it exclusively but found the stuff I was getting was very fatty. If your supplier can guarantee the fat contents on the ground meat then you are laughing. It does save time. It was pretty much the pork that was too fatty, the beef I use is good. Now I use ground beef and pork shoulder that I grind myself.

Corey

If you have a Costco nearby, they usually have GB with several fat percentages.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Grouperman941

Quote from: CoreyMac on April 28, 2014, 12:46:30 PM

Corey

Here, most stores will grind anything in the case for you. I can get a butt boned and ground for no extra cost if that's what I need.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Tenpoint5

I buy 10 pound clear wrapped chubs of 85/15 all the time. They work great
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!