July 4th!

Started by gpsmoker, July 04, 2006, 03:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asa

Great link Manxman.

I'll have to remember the phrase "Gobbag vooar." Seems like the kind of term that might come in handy some day.

I've been trying to learn more about the Isle of Man (or is it Mann) on the net, did it shift from the later to the former and if so when, and where did Manx come from. Then I got sidetracked on ManX Spirit. Oh well. I'll pursue the etymological history some other time.

Regards,
     Art
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

manxman

QuoteGobbag vooar.

Yes , it is quite a useful phrase....... means "big mouth" for those that are interested.

It is the Isle of Man, it has had several names historically including Mona (the Romans who never actually came here) and the Manx name is Ellan Vannin.

The Bees Gees were born here and they did a lovely rendition of a local folk song a few years ago of the same name.

Historically the spelling Mann was more common but that has all but disappeared nowadays. The language itself began to devolve from Irish Gaelic around 900AD. The name "Man" is thought to come from an Irish mythical sea and weather god called Mannanan mac lir.......... mac lir meaning "son of the sea" which itself apparently came for an earlier name for the Isle of Man which was "Mannin".

Used to go to school with the guy who runs Manx Spirit, it is basically redistilled Scotch Whisky. Lets just say I am not a fan!! We have some great local food and drink but to my mind this is not one!

regards, Paul
Manxman

asa

Quote from: manxman on July 07, 2006, 01:59:57 AM
and the Manx name is Ellan Vannin.

Thanks Paul for the introduction to Manx 101. This is really fascinating stuff. (and I'm glad I did the assigned reading ahead of time). "Ellan Vannin" led me to the writings of your  Rev. W. T. Radcliffe. That looks like required reading before we come visit you (I mean it - all of us - from the forum - we're all coming - really!)  ManX Spirit sounds like what we call here Everclear, or grain alcohol. Do they distill all the flavor out of it?

Regards,
     Art
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
     And

manxman

QuoteDo they distill all the flavor out of it?

They basically buy in Scotch Whisky and redistill it...... I quote from the Manx Spirit website which says that "whisky is just a crude product which needs refining that's all."

http://www.manx-spirit.com/

Now I am not a whisky drinker but to dismiss it as just a crude product that needs refining is in my mind just taking the mickey and to me Manx Spirit comes across as bland compared to a good quality Scottish malt.

It was called Manx Whisky until the Scottish brewers took the guy to court and he not only lost spectacularly but at spectacular cost! I am sure it has some fans but basically it has a novelty value as a local Manx product to my mind and that's all.

To me is ranks far behind other Manx specialities such as our kippers, cheese, beer, seafood, meat and other local products!

Quote(I mean it - all of us - from the forum - we're all coming - really!)

Mmmmm....... a Bradley convention, now your talking! :D
Manxman

asa

Quote from: manxman on July 09, 2006, 09:22:35 AM
I quote from the Manx Spirit website which says that "whisky is just a crude product which needs refining that's all."

Yeah - when I read that I was a bit suspicious of its quality.
     And