Hours per lb

Started by tyweb69, May 08, 2014, 12:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyweb69

Hey everyone! I have a quick question concerning both pork shoulders and briskets.  Is their any general rule of thumb for how much time per lb for each?  I know you should go to an IT for the pork but for planning purposes I was curious if there was some sort of guide to this.  Also, if the rule of thumb does exist for briskets does it change from a packer cut to a butcher cut?
Thanks in advance for your help.

TMB

Quote from: tyweb69 on May 08, 2014, 12:43:26 PM
Hey everyone! I have a quick question concerning both pork shoulders and briskets.  Is their any general rule of thumb for how much time per lb for each?  I know you should go to an IT for the pork but for planning purposes I was curious if there was some sort of guide to this.  Also, if the rule of thumb does exist for briskets does it change from a packer cut to a butcher cut?
Can't really say, reason is I have had 5lb butts go 5 to 8 hrs and 10 lbs butts go to 8 hrs and I wouldn't even give times on a Brisket.  I'd say "if" you have to try and put a time on it go 1 hr per lb  but again it's a guess at best.

Now, there are guy here with a lot more brains then I have so I'll let them post their thoughts

But remember IT is the most important thig
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

pondee

Quote from: tyweb69 on May 08, 2014, 12:43:26 PM

there is no easy answer to your question.  Look over these boards,  take the longest time estimate for the meat you are cooking, add two to three hours to that time and FTC once it is done and before  you want to serve.  You can Foil, Towel, Cooler your meal for a good ong time with no ill effects.  Many will say that it is a necessary step in the preparation.  Plan for the longer time and FTC til ready to serve.  It really is art, not science.  Have fun and enjoy.

tyweb69

Cool thanks for the feedback. 

tskeeter

Ty, for pork shoulder, my rule of thumb is 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours per pound.  You can shorten this time by cutting a large shoulder into a couple of pieces.  I always allow about an hour to FTC (foil, towel, cooler) the shoulder after it gets up to the temperature I want.  And I allow some extra time, just in case I got a shoulder from an energetic hog that is slow to cook enough to get tender.  If it's done early, no problem.  Just FTC longer.  I've FTCed shoulder for more than four hours and found it was still so hot that it was too hot to pull with your bare hands.

Brisket, I don't have an answer.  But, check out the brisket recipes at the recipe site by following the link.  They should have the information you are looking for.  Reading the recipes will also give you some ideas.  More ideas than a guy should have. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

tskeeter

There are a couple of schools of thought on temperatures for pork shoulder.  One says smoke and cook at 225F - 230F until fork tender, about 195F internal temperature.  The other says smoke and cook at about 205F - 210F until fork tender, about 170F or so internal temperature.  The lower temperature takes longer, but is supposed to be more moist.  I haven't had a chance to try the low temp method yet, but I'll be giving it a try Friday night and Saturday.

Don't take my cooking temps as carved in stone.  I've got to check them and confirm that my memory is right (That's why I write down a smoking plan for everything I do.  I don't forget what I did last time.  I have a place to keep notes about what to change.  And I can duplicate my process time after time.)

OK, I've checked, and my memory was pretty good.  Made a couple of tweeks anyway.

By the way, you will experience stalling when the IT reaches somewhere around 160F.  It will last an hour or two, maybe more.  This is the time when the collagen in the pork shoulder breaks down and the shoulder becomes nice and juicy.  Be patient, and the internal temperature will eventually start to rise again.  No need to increase your cabinet temp and force the shoulder through the stall stage.  Allowing the stall to run it's course is the key to tender, juicy pulled pork.

GusRobin

I have had 8 lb butts take 16- 20 hrs. So now I start it so that I it is done the day before. I then shred it and re- heat it the next day.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.