• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Sausage newbie

Started by tailfeathers, May 24, 2014, 07:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tailfeathers

Been wanting to do this for a while, finally took the plunge today. Got a 15 lb boneless butt, ground 10 lbs and made a five lb recipe of fresh brats and a five lb recipe of andouille. Fry test on both was great, the andouille is at just over 140 now, will take it out of the smoker at 150 and let it cool and bloom for a couple hrs before refrigerating. Cut the last five lbs into 1 lb slabs, they become Tasso tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

GusRobin

good job - unfortunately now you will be hooked :)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ragweed

Very nice, TF!  Now there is definitely no hope for you.  I'd make at least one batch a week if I didn't have to keep bacon in the house!

tailfeathers

Quote from: GusRobin on May 24, 2014, 08:25:17 PM
good job - unfortunately now you will be hooked :)
Yeah, thats pretty much a foregone conclusion. It's ok though, I was hooked before I even started!!

KyNola

That Andouille looks seriously good!  Nice going.

Loves me some tasso too.

Saber 4

Sausage looks good, welcome to the dark side! ;)

WoodlawnSmoker

Looks great, nice job!  You'll be addicted for sure, great relaxing hobby.

cobra6223

looks good so fae. Post pics of your tasso please.

BoxcarBetts

Getting pretty inspiring there, TF! I better get my sausage stuffer broken in soon too!
They say it's easier to quit heroin than it is to quit smoking!

tailfeathers

Here's a couple shots of the finished andouille and tasso. Smoked a little Gouda, jarlsburg and cojack today as well. Really happy with the brats and tasso, the andouille has excellent flavor but I feel like the texture could be better, it's just a tad bit "mealy". Maybe I poked it to much with my thermapen toward the end? It had a lot of juice running out of it but never got over 150 so I don't think it was a "fat out". Maybe a sausage expert could give me a hint?

cobra6223

okay it all looks very good however I'm wondering the difference between the tasso and biltong.

tailfeathers

Tasso is pieces of pork butt that has had cure applied, then rinsed, rubbed with spices and smoked. It's kinda like ham but spicier and chewier. It's used in recipes more so than eaten by itself. I've never tried biltong but my understanding is that it's similar to jerky but thicker/meatier?

rajzer

Quote from: tailfeathers on May 24, 2014, 07:57:27 PM
Been wanting to do this for a while, finally took the plunge today. Got a 15 lb boneless butt, ground 10 lbs and made a five lb recipe of fresh brats and a five lb recipe of andouille. Fry test on both was great, the andouille is at just over 140 now, will take it out of the smoker at 150 and let it cool and bloom for a couple hrs before refrigerating. Cut the last five lbs into 1 lb slabs, they become Tasso tomorrow.

Where the heck did you ge a 15lb boneless butt?  Must have come off a 400 lb. hog!

tailfeathers

Biggest one they had at Costco. It was actually 15.5

rajzer

Costco sells 2 butts per bag. ;)