Results of my turkey breast smoke with pics

Started by pjplovedog, June 02, 2014, 12:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjplovedog

So I prepared this 5.5 lb turkey breast late yesterday. I followed the advice that I got on my previous thread, and used the Bradley site's recipe for Thanksgiving Turkey, slightly modified with the spices and ingredients I had on hand. 
Here is what I used:

I rubbed it with the combination of 1/4 cup each salt, brown sugar and in place of sherry I used Shaoxing which tastes like sherry. 
Then I seasoned it up all over with these spices:

Then into a foil pan and popped it into the smoker:

Had a little incident with the SG on the Bradley not autmatically advancing the pucks again (dealt with this previously) So, I had to yank it out and I ended up transferring it to the GMG Daniel Boone to save it.   :(
However, so I continued bravely on and noticed there wasn't a lot of juices coming from this breast, so I dropped a few tablespoons of butter and a little white wine into the foil pan, and started to baste the bird with the resulting solution.  When it hit 165* I pulled it, wrapped it and let it sit for a while. 

It was perfectly moist, great flavor, and you can cut it with a fork.  Thanks for the advice earlier everyone and I will DEFINITELY make it this way again!!
Here it is:

Winner winner turkey dinner!

ragweed

Fantastic!  I think I'm going to have to thaw the one I've got in my freezer!!

tailfeathers

Looks YUMMY! To bad about your SG. Mine has worked perfectly since they sent me a new micro switch, but it's kinda the berries when you don't feel like you can really trust it to keep working. Most of the time I just use my A-Maze-N tube anymore. I know its gonna make smoke and it costs about a tenth of what it would take in pucks to run the same length of time. Ah well, such is life, eh?
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Saber 4

Looks like a juicy bird and a tasty plate to boot.

pjplovedog

Quote from: tailfeathers on June 02, 2014, 01:31:51 PM
Looks YUMMY! To bad about your SG. Mine has worked perfectly since they sent me a new micro switch, but it's kinda the berries when you don't feel like you can really trust it to keep working. Most of the time I just use my A-Maze-N tube anymore. I know its gonna make smoke and it costs about a tenth of what it would take in pucks to run the same length of time. Ah well, such is life, eh?
Yep, too bad about the SG.  I could have used a little more smoke flavor on the turkey, the GMG is a bit lighter when it comes to smoky flavor.  But, considering my options and I didn't have time to go and push the puck advance button every 20 minutes, transferring it to the GMG made sense.  The GMG is a really great unit, but I want my Bradley to work reliably as well! I need to get it working before I do a load of sausage, that would be horrible to have to bail in the middle of sausages.   :'(
I lended my A-Maze-N smoke tube to my son to play with last week- so I didn't have it on hand for backup!  Terrible timing  :)
It is a super recipe, though.  I didn't use all the "paste" it was enough for a huge turkey, it would have been way to salty for a little 5 lb breast. 

tailfeathers

I've got a bone-in breast in the freezer. I think I'll try that recipe on it, it looks really good. Thanks for posting !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

DaveT261

Quote from: pjplovedog on June 02, 2014, 12:37:57 PM
So I prepared this 5.5 lb turkey breast late yesterday. I followed the advice that I got on my previous thread, and used the Bradley site's recipe for Thanksgiving Turkey, slightly modified with the spices and ingredients I had on hand. 
Here is what I used:

I rubbed it with the combination of 1/4 cup each salt, brown sugar and in place of sherry I used Shaoxing which tastes like sherry. 
Then I seasoned it up all over with these spices:

Then into a foil pan and popped it into the smoker:

Had a little incident with the SG on the Bradley not autmatically advancing the pucks again (dealt with this previously) So, I had to yank it out and I ended up transferring it to the GMG Daniel Boone to save it.   :(
However, so I continued bravely on and noticed there wasn't a lot of juices coming from this breast, so I dropped a few tablespoons of butter and a little white wine into the foil pan, and started to baste the bird with the resulting solution.  When it hit 165* I pulled it, wrapped it and let it sit for a while. 

It was perfectly moist, great flavor, and you can cut it with a fork.  Thanks for the advice earlier everyone and I will DEFINITELY make it this way again!!
Here it is:

Winner winner turkey dinner!

Did you use the drippings from the pan to make your gravy??

pjplovedog

Dave-
I used the pan drippings in the gravy however there wasn't very much so I also made additional gravy with some broth to stretch it.

DaveT261

Your gravy looks very appetizing, I've tried using drippings from the smoker before but mine tasted too smokey for my liking. 

pjplovedog

Quote from: DaveT261 on June 10, 2014, 01:06:15 AM
Your gravy looks very appetizing, I've tried using drippings from the smoker before but mine tasted too smokey for my liking.
Yes, I have tried using the juices from the Bradley before- and they were too smokey for me as well.  This time, since I ended up transferring my bird to the GMG (pucks not advancing) I was able to use the pan juices as they do not get nearly as smokey as they would on the Bradley.  So, it did work out fine this time. Sometimes I just make a simple onion pan gravy with sauteed onions in butter, flour to thicken and whatever flavored broth I feel would work.  Add seasonings and voila!

:)

DaveT261