pork rinds

Started by manfromplaid, June 22, 2014, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromplaid

so i smoked up some bacon yesterday bagged up 15  1lbs freezer bags.  now i was wondering since these bellys had the hide still on them what to do with the skins. i would hate to toss them if there is a way to use them. any ideas?????

Saber 4

Search here and the recipe site, their are some good pork rind recipes out there.

Ka Honu

If there's still some fat and meat on the skins, make cracklin's (or grattons if you're from Louisiana). Essentially you cut them into pieces (about 1-1.5 inches square) and render them down with some water, then deep fry, season and cool. If you're not into frying, I have a great recipe for baking them which I'll post on request. Be warned - it does smoke up the kitchen a bit.

manfromplaid

the rinds were cured on the bellies and smoked before being removed from the bacon. will they still need to be rendered before i bake them

mrmcdowe

Put a piece of the rind in beans while you cook them. It adds a great flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ka Honu

Quote from: manfromplaid on June 23, 2014, 06:02:35 AM... will they still need to be rendered before i bake them

If you're baking them, I'd say they probably need to be rendered first (I render before smoking but haven't already used cured skin before). Here's my recipe so you can judge how you want to go and adjust accordingly...

• Cut the skin into 1-inch strips

• Place in a covered pan of boiling water for 30-40 minutes

• Allow to cool, then place in the fridge until the skins feel 'dry' (2 hours to overnight)

• Preheat the oven to 225 and place the rinds on a rack over a baking sheet. Using a bamboo skewer, poke as many holes as you can on the skin.

• Place in the oven for one hour.

• Turn the oven up to 400 and poke holes again where the skin is still soft. Cook for about another 45 minutes (until crisp). You may need to poke more holes or drain the fat a time or two.

• Lay some clean newspaper on the counter, cover with a layer of paper towels, and dump. There shouldn't be too much grease for the towels to absorb.

• While they are still warm, transfer to a bowl and sprinkle liberally with seasoning of your choice. Let them cool for about 15 minutes and cut them into squares.

• Serve.

• Okay to store in refrigerator (ZipLoc bags) for 7-10 days. Longer may start to get rancid. To reheat , warm at 200 to 250°F in the oven or grill (NO microwave).

Spice Blend (or Cajun seasoning)
1 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder or cayenne powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Note: Try:  225 for one hour (smoker?), 400 for 45 minutes

OldHickory

The Man ( KH ) has you on the right track.  Good luck.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

NorthShoreMN

If they are smoked consider keeping one piece to pin on top of a turkey when grilling it.  Keeps bird
Nice and moist. Also small pieces are great for seasoning , soups, beans or vegetables.
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

manfromplaid

thanks for the replys  will work out what to do with them. won't get wasted to damm good to throw out :)