Old Smoker

Started by bear7625, June 22, 2014, 01:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bear7625

Hi from Wisconsin,
I'm not new to smoking, but new to electric smokers like Bradley. I've done all my smoking on smokers I have built over the years. I am now interested in buying my first. I've been researching the Std. Bradley and adding a Auber PID or going with the 4 rack digital. I have learned a lot from all the posts on here and would really appreciate any suggestion from members to make getting started easier.
Any advice is welcome,
Bear

Saber 4

Welcome from Texas, I haven't done any Mod's on my digital 4 rack so I can't really help but it sounds like you've been doing your research so you may just want to ask specific questions to get better answers from the guy's who've done the Mod's.

GusRobin

It would help if you let us know what you plan on doing with your Bradley.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

bear7625

Years ago we smoked mainly fish and some venison. All was done on a home made smoker. I want to get into smoking all kinds of meats as well as other things. I've decided to try an electric smoker to avoid a lot of the hassle. Was just looking for some input on what things are a must have to add to my smoker.

Saber 4

Personally living in a warm climate, I love my digital as is. I am going to try finishing my smoked sausage in a water bath and if that works I won't have need for a PID, I have gotten a cold smoke adapter to be able to do cold smoked cheeses and such in the summer heat. Some here feel about the same as I do and others will have a much different opinion of what you need so go with whatever works best for your situation, just think outside the box the more time you spend here the more things you will smoke that you never even considered before. :)

tskeeter

bear7625, frequent advice from experienced forum members is to buy the less expensive standard model and invest the savings in a PID to improve the temperature control.  The improved temp control is often desirable if you're smoking cheese, fish, or sausage.  And it seems like sooner or later, we all want to smoke cheese, fish, or sausage.

A couple of general comments just to make sure that your expectations are met.  The Bradley is designed for low and slow cooking, so it only has a 500 watt heating element.  Patience is a virtue.  The Bradley temperature control system is subject to overrun while cycling on and off.  Temperature variations of 20F +/- your temperature set point are pretty common.  The location of Bradley thermometers and temperature sensors make them most suitable to be viewed as indicators, rather than instruments that yield precise measurements of overall cabinet temperature.  Digital sensors are mounted in the back wall, directly above the heating element, so they tend to read a temp that is higher that the temp in the middle of the cabinet.  Door mounted sensors are in a cool part of the cabinet, so tend to show a lower temp than the middle of the cabinet.  As a result, many forum members use remote thermometers.  Dual probe models that allow monitoring of cabinet temperature as well as the internal temperature of what you are smoking seem to be preferred.  And the wireless remote models, such as the Maverick 733, that allow you to monitor temps from your Lazy Boy, are common.   

bear7625

Thanks guys, You helped a lot. I've learned quite a bit on the forum and I think I'm headed in right direction. I've smoked a lot of fish over the years and it will be nice to smoke without the constant tending of a homemade smoker.

tailfeathers

Hi and welcome from South Dakota!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tskeeter

Quote from: bear7625 on June 23, 2014, 03:57:01 PM
Thanks guys, You helped a lot. I've learned quite a bit on the forum and I think I'm headed in right direction. I've smoked a lot of fish over the years and it will be nice to smoke without the constant tending of a homemade smoker.

Yup, gotta love equipment that just runs on it's own.  That's why I passed along my Masterbuilt digital and went with a Bradley.  Nothing beats setting up the smoker and letting it run for a few hours without having to check temps or add chips while I mow the lawn, change oil in the car, or watch football.