First timer question

Started by kanemack, July 04, 2014, 07:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kanemack

Hello all! I just got the digital six rack smoker, and just wanted to know if there is a chart anywhere for smoking times. I have a cooking time chart, but I was wondering if you smoke all the way to the end. I made some test sausage last night. Turned out great! Now I want to do a brisket next weekend and don't want to over/under smoke it.

Thanks for any help!

CoreyMac

Smoke times are largely trial and error. Everybody has different tastes but sausage I usually give 3-4 hrs, roasts 3-4 hrs. I give bacon up to 8 hrs (but that's me). Cheese is the shortest at 1-2 hrs. Again this is what I have found over the years.

Corey

KyNola

On larger cuts of meat such as a brisket or pork butt many of us go 4 hours of smoke.  Poultry typically doesn't require that much because poultry is a smoke sponge.  As CoreyMac said, there is no hard and fast rule.  If you are new to the Bradley I would recommend you start with a shorter smoking period and see how the taste is for you.  If it is not smoky enough for you, you will know to apply smoke longer the next time.

There is a theory that once meat reaches a temp of 140 it will no longer take any smoke.

TedEbear

Quote from: kanemack on July 04, 2014, 07:05:34 AMI have a cooking time chart, but I was wondering if you smoke all the way to the end.

First, welcome aboard.

I noticed that you said you have a cooking time CHART.  For briskets, pork butts, poultry and some other things don't cook by time, cook by internal temp.  One 8# brisket may take 10 hours to reach an IT of 190+ and another one may take 15 hours (or more) to reach the same temp.  I start checking for doneness on a brisket when the iT reaches 190.  Usually, it is done somewhere between 190-200*F.

Also, the flavor of smoke you use will influence how long to apply smoke.  Flavors such as hickory or mesquite have a stronger flavor than something like apple or cherry and you might not want to apply as much smoke when using them. 

Here's a link that talks about all this in more detail:  Bradley Smoker FAQ's

beefmann

welcome aboard,

as  others  has  indicated start off with a  little  smoke,,, no more then 2 hours to start and  work up to  no more then 4 hours max  smoke till you  find  what you   like, also  misquite and hickory are  very  strong  woods and may  not  require much in the way  of  smoke.

also keep your top vent  open, keep your  top  vent open,,,, and i hear your  question ,,,how far open..  most on here  run the top  vent wide open ot have  removed the damper.

as for a  time chart,, there really is not  one,, meat cuts vary a  lot along  with how  much  moisture is in the  meat, fat content, connective tissue... so it  would vary... a  rule of thumb for pulled meat is between 1 hour to 1 hour and half on a  good day with a  box temp of 225 f, bet way to figure out if a  piece of meat  is  done is get a remote thermometer  . starting at  185- 190 f check the meat  with a  fork to see if it is  ready to  pull,, if  not let it sit in the smoker till it  rises another 4 or 5 degrees and try again. some  wont  pull easily until 205 f  sometimes a  lil  higher.

good  luck and have fun,,, if you have  more  questions ,,  ask we all were  new at  one time

Beef

Habanero Smoker

Hi kanemack;

Welcome to the forum.

You can also find more useful information from the link below.
Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)