Smoking a pork shoulder for BBQ cook-off at work tomorrow...

Started by destinsmoker, July 01, 2014, 01:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

destinsmoker

it will most likely be done some time this evening.  Once it is finished, is it okay to wrap it in a towel and leave in a cooler overnight and pull it in the morning? I would rather not put it in the fridge, if possible.  Thanks.

beefmann

over night  seems a  long time to me for a  FTC, a  few hours ok .. bt  over  night... im  really  not  sure,,, id relay on others here

Tenpoint5

I think that would be too long in the danger zone of 40-140 degrees. I wouldn't even feel right. To tell you to pull it then double wrap in foil with apple juice and hold at 150 in an electric roaster or your Bradley. However I err on the side of caution heavily
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Wildcat

What is wrong with fridge? It is real easy to re-heat. Besides if you chop up the bark and mix it in with the pulled meat, the flavors from the smoke and rub will meld really well overnight. My butts always tastes better the next day. It is best to vac seal.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

destinsmoker

I think I will put it in the fridge.  Would you pull it tonight or wait until tomorrow?

GusRobin

I pull them and put in the fridge. Next day I warm them in the crock pot with some apple juice.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

tailfeathers

I think you'll find it'll pull a lot better if you do it before refrigerating it. I do the same as Gusrobin. Pull, refrigerate and reheat the next day in a crockpot with some apple juice or a little broth if needed. If time is a factor I sometimes remove the stoneware crock and microwave the pork in it a bit to give it a head start on reheating. Not long enough to get it real hot, just long enough to warm it a bit. Here's a sauce recipe that I really like for pulled pork, it's from Weber's "Real Grilling" cookbook, (the first one).
1 cup each of water, ketchup and cider vinegar.
1 tsp each of worcestershire sauce and kosher salt
3 T sugar
1/2 tsp each cayenne pepper, black pepper and dry mustard powder.
Bring to a boil in medium saucepan, stirring often, simmer 10 minutes. This is enough for @ six pound butt. It is very thin and looks like too much, but the shredded pork really soaks it up. Just pour it on the pp in a bowl or pan and mix it in.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!