• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hello from Manitoba, Canada !

Started by Rooftop777, July 08, 2014, 05:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooftop777

Hi all, just bought new Bradley Smoker. Will need lots of recipes and advice from experts here. Hope to help others once I get better with smoking meats.
Welcome all ! ;D

Saber 4

Welcome aboard and a big howdy from Texas. Spend some time searching the forum and if you have questions that come up ask away, everyone here will be happy to help. Also keep your vent open, your water bowl full and have fun with it.

Rooftop777

Hi and thanks. I am doing 10 lbs pork. It's at 225 F, bowl full of hot water and top vent 1/4 open since a bit windy outside. If I open vent more I loose temperature too much...

Saber 4

You'll be better off if you can get it out of the wind some and open up the vent some more to let the moisture out so you don't end up with black rain on your pork, Also be ready to wait out the stall when your pork can go a couple of hours or more with no rise in internal temp.

Rooftop777

Yes, took your advice, blocked wind and opened it 1/2 way. Started at to smoke mesquite wood at 645 pm tonight, set at oven at 250F and internal meat temp was 74F when started. I used a dry rub with mustard with a bit of oil all over meat.
At 945 pm now, I am still set at 250F, oven temp says 230F and my internal temperature is 131F. Going to shut smoke off at 1045 pm, then leave with oven set to 220F until I can check it in morning  at 700 am tomorrow.
Likely have to leave it cook until 400pm tomorrow with just solely oven on, then do FTC thing after for 2 hours once meat gets to internal temp of 203 ??
Am I on the right track with everything above ??

First time doing this,

thanks

Saber 4

I would suggest you leave your puck burner on for the extra 125 watts of heat just knock the last puck off if you don't have bubba pucks.

My pulled pork is usually ready around an IT of 185-195, if the bone feels like it will pull right out or a fork inserted twists easily then your ready to FTC.

Also if your going to leave it unattended overnight make sure it's not to close to something that will burn in case of fire and make sure to clean the grease out of your water bowl and replace with fresh water. I replace my water bowl at that point with a 9x13 cake pan full of water so that I have enough for the long run. Also make sure there is no grease build up in the drain hole of your V tray.

NorthShoreMN

Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

tskeeter

On the recipe front, you're in luck.  Many of the forum's most experienced smokers have posted their recipes.  Just follow the link below.  Lots of ideas for things to make and plenty of detail t help you be successful right out of the gate.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

Welcome from NW Nevada

TedEbear

Welcome aboard from St. Louis.  Here are a few links to get you started:

Our Time Tested and Proven Recipes

Frogmats Non-Stick High Temperature Smoker / Jerky Screen 10" x 13"

Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET733

Bradley Smoker Bisquette Saver

Bradley Smoker FAQs

There are more but try those out before getting into things like enclosures for storing your Bradley outdoors, mods to your smoker, etc.  I'm sure someone will be along to help you with those if you're interested.

Take some before/after pics of your efforts and post them if you're so inclined.  People around here like to see pics.

Adding pictures to posts on the Bradley Smoker Forum

seb bot

Hey Rooftop777, welcome from BC, hope you enjoy your new smoker!

Others have already provided the usual helpful links, happy smoking! :)

Rooftop777

thanks for advice and welcomes.
I came home today at 4pm and heat was off so I know it was running for at least 4 hours at internal temp of 167 at 7 am this morning. I wrapped it in foil with apple juice in oven at 350F for 2 hours until internal is back up to 170 or more.
My kids are coming tonight for supper. I just hate that I lost the bark or solid texture that was on the outside when I took it out of smoker. Figured I should cook it to proper internal temp before serving....hope it turns out in next hour or so I'll know....

tailfeathers

Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Rooftop777

Hi, it turned out tender on outsides but a bit tough on inside. Likely because of being in a rush and only getting to 170f. So put 3/4 back in oven in foil until 200f with more apple juice. Then put in cooler for 2 hours. Going to check it before going to bed to see how tender...
Seems like a bad start for me, but learning,
cya all