Smoked Cream Cheese - Not Your Cold Smoked Version

Started by Habanero Smoker, September 24, 2021, 04:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I receive a newsletter with a recipe on Smoked Cream Cheese. I did a search and found that this recipe is trending on the internet. I also learned that this is not a new idea, and found some posts that date back to 2015. After reading several recipes, and viewing several videos, I decided to give this a try. Though most recipes recommend using your favorite rub, keep in mind that cream cheese has a fair amount of salt, so use rubs that don't have a lot of salt.

This is not your ordinary smoke cream cheese that is cold smoked, but smoked/barbecue at 225 – 250°F. I smoke mine in the P10 at 250°F, for 2 hours using 40 minutes of maple. I smoked two blocks; one savory using Dizzy Pig's Tsunami Spin, and gave it a coating of Texas Apple Habanero Rib Candy with 30 minutes of cooking time left. The other was sweet using cinnamon sugar as the seasoning. After removing from the smoker I topped it with apple jelly that was slightly heated in the microwave. The amount of smoke seemed perfect.

Smoked cream cheese is a delicious appetizer that fits well on any cheese board or Charcuterie board. Smoked cream cheese is delicious warm, at room temperature, or cold, so enjoy it as an any time snack!

Smoked Cream Cheese - Not Your Cold Smoked Version

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 to 2 hours

Ingredients
•   8 ounce block of cream cheese; full fat
•   Olive oil, or neutral flavored oil
•   2 tablespoons of either your favorite savory or sweet seasonings; low salt versions preferred.

•   12" x 12" piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil (fold in half to 12" x 6"),
•   2-4 Bradley bisquettes, of your choice

Instructions
Preheat your smoker and bisquette burner to 225 – 250°F.

Remove cream cheese from refrigerator, and unwrap. Place the unwrap cream cheese in the center of the wrapper. Leaving the unwrapped cream cheese on the wrapper, coat cheese with oil. Spray oil makes this easier. Season liberally with either a savory or sweet seasonings.

• Optional: You can score the top of the cream cheese in a crosshatch pattern. This may give it more smoke flavor. If not, it definitely gives it a better visual presentation, and prevents random cracks in the cheese. Also, more moisture will escape from the cheese giving you a more desirable texture. When scoring the top, I find placing the knife on top of the cheese and using a rocking motion works better than slicing. If cream cheese begins to build up on the knife blade use a paper towel to wipe of the excess.

Place the seasoned cream cheese on 12"x6" piece of aluminum foil folded (12"x12" piece that was folded in half). Fold the foil into a boat, leaving about 1" border wider than the cheese on all sides. The sides of the boat shouldn't be any higher than 1". Do not cover the cheese.

Place on your smoker rack, and into the smoker – middle position. Apply smoke and continue to cook for a total time of 1 to 2 hours. (I used 40 minutes of maple bisquettes, and had the cheese in the smoker for a total of 2 hours).

Remove smoked cream cheese from the smoker. It will be hot, so keep this in mind before digging in, so let it rest for 10-15 minutes.

SERVING:
Use it as a dip with ritz crackers, tortilla chips, pita chips, bagel chips, or prepared raw vegetables and fruit. Corn chips and potato chips tend to be too salty for this dip.
Use it as a spread, such as for sandwiches, bagels, toast etc.
It can be served warm, room temperature or cold. Just keep in mind that when served cold the flavors are not as strong.

COATINGS:
You can coat your cream cheese block with almost any seasoning. From Everything Bagel seasoning, to cinnamon and sugar. Try using dried herb seasonings, such as Italian Blend. During the last 30 minutes of the smoke/cook brush it with your favorite barbecue sauce, or fruit preserves that have been slightly heated in the microwave.

TOPPINGS:
After taking the cheese out of the smoker you can top it with crumbled cooked bacon or bacon bite. Or a combination of chopped peppers, onions, and/or bacon. Top with your favorite barbecue sauce; or go in the sweet side and top with your favorite preserves or pie filling.

STORING LEFTOVERS:
Store any leftover cream cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. It is not recommended to freeze smoked cream cheese. Freezing will alter the texture.

NOTES:
Many recipes do not call for coating the cheese with olive oil.
Many recipes use small disposable aluminum pans instead of aluminum foil.
Hickory and pecan work best on savory. The fruit wood flavors and maple, work best for sweet styles. If you have a mixed batch; both savory and sweet, maple bisquettes work well.
It is difficult to dip up this cream cheese with a cracker or vegetable. It is best to have a spreading knife available.
Experiment with cook times and temperatures, to get the texture you desire. The more time in the smoker the more moisture will be loss. This loss changes the texture to a cream consistency. Though I did notice the longer in the smoker, the more the exterior of the cheese became chewier.
You can also cook the cream cheese in the oven. You may want to use some smoked paprika in your seasoning to add some smoke flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)