Preseasoning

Started by Pistol Pete, September 04, 2014, 12:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pistol Pete

My kids bought me a 6-Rack Bradley Digital for a recent and significant birthday.  They thought even I could figure out how to work it.  Both my son-on-law and son are heavy into smoking using charcoal and wood.  I am ready to make them cry. My daughter wants a brisket and that will be my opening statement. (I took the 8,249,578,123 recipes and created an average)(Not really, but I only have 2 days to find the perfect one)

First, I must preseason...OK, I understand the walls, floor, and roof of the smoke chamber, but why "season" the racks and drip tray as the instructions indicate? Is it so you can practice washing them?

Next summer the whole family, in-laws, out-laws, and everybody else are going to NC's Outer Banks for a vacation.  I plan to pack this bad boy up and haul it down there, bisquettes and all.  I'm not askin' for trouble.  But with the help of this forum, I'll be ready.

tskeeter

Pete, I assume that the reason Bradley recommends preseasoning the racks and v-tray is that not everyone will wash those items before using them.  The heating during seasoning helps clean off any residue left from the manufacturing process.

As for me, I washed the racks and v-tray before seasoning them.  Then did the seasoning.  A coat of smoke on the racks probably helps keep food from sticking the first time you use the racks.

Here's something else for your reading list.  www.susanminor.org  Our Time Tested and Proven Recipes are from the forum's most experienced smokers.  You might take the time to check out the Brisket Pachanga.  I find these recipes especially appropriate because they are written for the Bradley Smoker.  Quite a few tips and suggestions along with quite detailed instructions.

Jim O

Welcome, Pistol Pete ! Just want to mention, if you plan on haulin' the Bradley somewhere,I'd suggest it's really well packed and protected from lotsa bumping. I may be wrong,but I'd be afraid of the heating element becoming somewhat brittle from use,and may break due to bumping,etc. I'm probably wrong on this, but it would be a shame to arrive where you're going and find the Bradley doesn't work.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Pistol Pete

Thanks for the advice folks.  It probably would be a good idea to have a replacement element on hand as a $20 insurance policy.  I'm also going to scope out some of those recipes  at susanminor.org.  That Brisket Pachanga looks real interesting and I have to admit, I have never heard of Tender Quick

KyNola

Welcome to the Forum.  Tender Quick is a curing mixture that serves little purpose in Pachanga's recipe.  A brisket is too thick for the Tender Quick to penetrate the meat substantially in a 24 hour period.  It may form an artificial smoke ring and be visually appealing but a smoke ring serves no purpose otherwise.

If you are unfamiliar with Tender Quick please use caution using it until you become familiar with it.  Tender Quick contains both sodium nitrite and nitrate and if used incorrectly can be physically harmful.  The amount in Pachanga's recipe is certainly more than safe but it's not something you want to arbitrarily add to a recipe.

Good luck with your project.  Let us know how it is received and don't hesitate to call on us if we can answer questions for you.

Pistol Pete

My doctor gave me an easy diet to follow.  He said I can eat anything I want, but if it tastes good, spit it out.   Salt, Sugar, and Fat form the Evil Empire.  Thanks for the advise.  I intend to remain unfamiliar with Tender Quick.