Box Temps

Started by Smokin Dixie, July 24, 2006, 02:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Dixie

I've been lurking around reading the forum while waiting on my BS to arrive....learning what to expect from it. I performed the recommended "cure-in" and decided to check the box temp.

Brand new out of the box:

1/2 a bowl of water, biscuit burning, empty box w/temp on high, damper 1/4 open, box plugged into burner = 275 max temp

No water, everything else the same = 275 max temp

No water, box plugged directly to outlet, burner off = 250 max temp

As I type...back to set-up no. 1 with 2 racks of St. Louis Ribs = 235 max temp

Did I mention it's about 98 degrees outside?

Bradley advertises a max temp of 320...does it sound like I have a weak box element that warrants replacement?

icerat4

Dont sweat the small stuff .Dont worry about that temp deal.Low and slow is the smokers motto so anything smoking and cooking above 225 is a waste.you should maintain temps in the 190-215 range on most eveything .Happy smoking

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Smokin Dixie

Yeah...that was my initial thought, too. Then I got to thinking about this winter and loading the BS with two or three butts or chickens when it is below 40 degrees out and was wondering it would maintain the proper temps. I did gain an extra 15 degrees in hour number 3 on my ribs...had to turn down the fire.

icerat4

Just buy a couple extra cases of beer.AND  have the unit in a shed or some inclosed area with ventalation.And all should be ok.

Just another weekend with the smoker...