Smoking Salmon Aftermath

Started by Pistol Pete, November 01, 2014, 11:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pistol Pete

I have a DBS 6 rack. My plan was to marinate/brine some salmon tonight and smoke it tomorrow.  The next night I planned on smoking a beef brisket.  Will the Salmon leave an odor that could be absorbed by the brisket?  Just because I smell it, does the brisket care?   If salmon does leave an odor, is there a way of getting rid of it?  (I have everything but mesquite in my bisquette arsenal)  I am almost certain that Joe Bradley doesn't recommend Febreeze.  But, I am open to everything except cleaning my smoker.  My dishwasher isn't working....actually, she's just visiting her mother.

Pete

"Life's too short to dance with ugly woman"

tailfeathers

I've smoked lots of salmon in mine and have never noticed any carryover odor whatsoever. I highly recommend Kummok's method BTW, can't go wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

KyNola

I agree with my friend tailfeathers.  You won't have any fish smell carryover.

Pistol Pete

Thanks.  I wonder is those expressing odor displeasure just didn't clean the racks and V-Tray.

Unfortunately the weather had other ideas so the salmon have been rescheduled.  I just put them back in the stream behind my house.  Actually its a freezer, but there's a pic of the Salty Dawg on it.  (No, its not a brined frankfurter)

Kummok

I'm also a "cross dresser" with smoked meats, (HEAVILY favoring fat King salmon!), and have never experienced any taste/odor transfer unless intentionally placing drippy meats (e.g. bacon) above other meats...I do clean v-v-rack, puck ramp, and ash bowl between smokes...