Baked Beans

Started by Pistol Pete, November 06, 2014, 01:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pistol Pete

On a recent smoke I had an extra rack so I decided to throw on a pan of beans.  My son, smoker from the great white north, sent me a recipe from smokingmeatforums.com entitled Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans

Dutch's WICKED BAKED BEANS
(Beans that will even make Chili Heads happy)

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares
1/2 Medium onion, diced
1/2 Bell pepper, diced
1 - 2 Jalapeno Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)
1 - 55 ounce can Bushs Baked Beans
1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained
1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 Cup ketchup
1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard

Saute bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Saute onion, bell pepper and jalapeno  pepper until tender.

In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 - 3 hours (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160° ) or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour.

Now let me start by saying, 1) I followed the recipe and it was FANTASTIC (and attested by other members of this forum) and 2) I don't think its ever a good idea to dis anyone named Dutch.

Lets not call them flaws in the recipe, lets call them opportunities for enhancement.

A choice between putting 6 or 8 strips of bacon....how stupid is that???  Use 8
Do you know what a b**** it is to cut bacon in 1/2" (little pieces- Canadian) squares?  Slice the strips at 1/2"....they'll break when crisp
Bell Pepper?  How cheap are you?  Buy a red pepper..sweeter and great color (Remember, we eat first with our eyes)(Gag me)
Diced?  You like big, cut 'em big.  You like little, cut 'em little (I went to college for this?)
Use 2 Jalapenos....whuss out by leaving out the ovary and seeds?  Well, if that's what Mrs Lucky wants.
Bush's Baked Beans---your opportunity to personalize the dish Original? Homestyle?  (Wipe up any drips of sarcasm before putting in the DBS)
Pineapple???  Who's idea was this?  The Pineapple Growers Association?  The people who put ham and pineapple on a pizza?  C'mon!  Pizza?-  Cheese, tomato sauce, Bam.  Maybe pepperoni, end of story.
Ketchup?  Only if everyone eating this is under 10 (70 in dog years)( dix Canadian. some places 10 in others)

Try the recipe.  Like Geology, it rocks.  Remember, its an Art, not a science (Crushed pineapple, not chunks?)

tskeeter

Pete, a couple of times last summer I made a bean recipe much like the one you have .  Way awesome!  Folks at the BBQ were eating beans by the bowl full.  And taking seconds.

Bush's beans are the ticket.
I chopped the pineapple chunks.  I like the sweetness, but don't want a mouth full of pineapple.
Heavy on the mustard.  I think it was 1 Tbs per 28 oz. can of beans.
Smoked ham hock instead of bacon.  (I've also used bacon with great success.)
A few shakes of Tabasco.

The basic recipe came out of a 1950's vintage Stokley-Van Camp pamphlet cookbook.  The mustard, onion, bell pepper, Tabasco, and jalapeno were additions to the basic recipe.

Pistol Pete

Boy Scout Camp Fart Pills.  Van Camp's were the only thing that came in a small can. And there were no red, orange, or yellow sweet peppers.   My son wanted to disown me when I suggested no pineapple.  Then I reminded him of his inheritance, which is when he suggested I change from chunks to crushed.  (He said an old recipe had crushed)( Old to him is...last Tuesday).  Your suggestion to add hot sauce gives me flashbacks  of C's in The Nam.  Its all good.

Pete

"The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth."

tskeeter

Can't take any credit for the recipe.  The basic recipe, as well as the additions, came from the Mother of a lady down the street.  All I can take credit for is mixing the ingredients and heating it up.

But, the beans were really good anyway.

cathouse willy

IF Tskeeter doesn't mind I'll add this recipe from the Bbq Pitboys web site that turns out some mighty good beans The video is worth watching too.

link http://bbqpitboys.com/recipes/bacon-baked-beans

waycoolcat

Hey Pistol Pete,
I made your recipe for Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans. They were very good, everyone like them. I would not have thought of crushed pineapple in baked beans, but it really worked.
I want to be a better carnivore!