Thanksgiving brisket

Started by JONNYK, November 19, 2014, 07:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JONNYK

Hey all. Snowy and cold here in Ontario today. Next Thursday we are tailgating at the Lions Thanksgiving day game. My friend has asked me to smoke a brisket. Just seeking some approval /suggestions for the process. Seeing we leave at 7:30 a.m I can't smoke on Wednesday as he wants burnt ends too. I read the tutorial posted on BBQ Brethren by bigabyte, which I'll post cause it was a great post for us newbies. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882
I sorta planned on smoking the brisket on Tuesday, then refridgerating it unsliced. Wednesday night I will put it in crockpot with timer to warm for 4 hrs before leaving. Smoke burnt ends on Wednesday along with a couple of pizza fatties. Will do same warming with ends as brisket. Fatties can be warmed up on bbq gameday.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

tskeeter

To help keep things warm between home and when you serve them, use variations on FTC (foil, towel, cooler).  The foil reflects heat back into the meat, rather than letting the heat dissipate.   The towel proves lots of small air spaces, like insulation.  And coolers keep cold things cold and hot things hot.  Your crock pot shell probably would take the place of the foil.  Completely wrap the crock pot in several (5, 6, 7) layers of old newspaper.  The air spaces between the pages provide a surprising amount of insulation.  A cardboard box can replace the cooler.  The corrugations provide insulation.  Around our house, we keep a couple of file storage boxes for this purpose.  A couple of old bath towels or crumpled up newspaper help fill any extra space in the box and provide additional insulation.

Using the FTC process, I've held pork shoulders for four hours between smoking and serving.  And found that after four hours, the shoulder was still so hot that it was almost too hot to pull with bare hands.

JONNYK

Thanks skeet. Buddy has a soft sided insulated bag. So will make sure to make it all snuggly in a blankie!