Rookie questions

Started by bradleyj, March 05, 2015, 08:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bradleyj

Hi there.

I am pretty new at this. I have made a few batches of goose jerky in my Bradley smoker but that's it. I would like to smoke duck roasts. Can anyone tell me.....should I be scrubbing the inside of the smoker to get all of the residue from the jerky off? Should I be cleaning it every time I use it.?   

Then on the ducks. I see the recipe for it on the Bradley website but do you stuff the duck roast with anything?

Thanks for the help. 

tskeeter

Pictures on the forum indicate that most forum members don't clean their smoker cabinet between smokes.  I know I don't.  The only cleaning I do is to knock off any flaking seasoning when the accumulated seasoning starts to flake.  Or, if I get grease on wall of the smoker, I'll give it a quick wipe with warm water.  (Note that I do wipe down the door gasket and the gasket contact surfaces with warm water on a regular basis to keep the gasket from sticking to the contact surfaces.)

Hopefully one of the duck hunters will be along shortly to answer your question about duck roasts.

Tiffin

Like tskeeter said. Wash your racks, water bowl, v tray and bottom pan between each smoke but not inside the smoker. That is all the flavor in there. Along with the door seal it is a good idea to scrape off the puck burner occasionally to make sure you have no puck advance problems.
BDS4 unmodified

Gafala

Just keep your door jam, and gasket clean. I run all my parts through the dish washer gets them super clean.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

manfromplaid

search duck in the forum  ragweed is the duck man and there are some posts about doing ducks 

ragweed

Quote from: manfromplaid on March 06, 2015, 06:46:49 AM
search duck in the forum  ragweed is the duck man and there are some posts about doing ducks

Wow!  Thanks for the moniker, MFP but I've only done one duck!!  And I didn't take pics so it really never happened.  What to do with goose breasts however is another story.  Those recipes I've posted and am very pleased with.  Back to the duck, didn't stuff with anything.  Just a soak, a rub and apple smoke.  If you'd like the details, Bradleyj, let me know.

TedEbear

Quote from: bradleyj on March 05, 2015, 08:32:53 AMThen on the ducks. I see the recipe for it on the Bradley website but do you stuff the duck roast with anything?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of info about smoking and stuffing a duck.  However, I would think the same rules apply to turkey.  You might search the Poultry section and see if you can find something.

Also, welcome aboard.   :)