Turkey Day 2014

Started by Scotty-G, November 23, 2014, 04:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty-G

What is everyone planning for Turkey Day 2014?

For the past several years I've done either oil less fried or smoked  oil less fried turkeys.
This year I am thinking to finally try something different.
Since we are going to be a smaller gathering (~8) I am thinking

Turducken Roll
    Turkey breast - my corn bread stuffing - duck breast - sweet Italian sausage - chicken breast - shrimp stuffing [once I write a recipe] <-- all rolled up and wrapped in a bacon lattice blanket  :P
turkey stock gravy
festive sweet potatoes
green bean casserole
garden salad
buttermilk rolls
cider
(hard and soft)
cranberry compost --> left overs turn into a great dehydrated fruit leather snack

Kids all complained about there not being any turkey legs so smoked turkey legs too

of course warm pumpkin pie & ice cream for desert

What are you planning?

Scotty-G

Saber 4

Going to visit family so I have a 14 pounder brining now so I can smoke tomorrow and take it when we head south.

Habanero Smoker

I'm visiting relatives so I only have to bring the "Maple Glazed Braised Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Pecans". On Thanksgiving only traditional turkey is allowed in my sister's house. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Th big family get-together is at our house again this year.  Thus, steam cleaning the carpets, etc., the next 3 days.  I bought an 18.7 lb turkey yesterday and it is currently thawing in the fridge.  I will be waking up early on Thursday to smoke it in the Bradley. With only 10 people for the family dinner there should be plenty of leftovers.

meyer lemon

Brining today and smoking tomorrow.  Heading to St. Louis!

TedEbear

Quote from: meyer lemon on November 24, 2014, 06:05:00 AM

Stay away from Ferguson.   :)  I live about 30 miles from there.

Saber 4

Quote from: TedEbear on November 24, 2014, 07:12:46 AM
Quote from: meyer lemon on November 24, 2014, 06:05:00 AM

Stay away from Ferguson.   :)  I live about 30 miles from there.

Stay safe and loaded for Bear, TedEbear!

Grouperman941

I am smoking a whole breast right now for family use (like leftovers but early). Thanksgiving, we go to my parents, and although there are only 8 of us, we usually have 2 12 pounders (oven-roasted) so there are more legs and wings and a bonus wishbone for the kids.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Scotty-G

What a day
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

Couple of Picts to share

Assembly: Out of the Oven:   Sliced:

And the legs:

TedEbear

Quote from: TedEbear on November 24, 2014, 04:43:24 AMI bought an 18.7 lb turkey yesterday and it is currently thawing in the fridge.  I will be waking up early on Thursday to smoke it in the Bradley. With only 10 people for the family dinner there should be plenty of leftovers.

Leftovers indeed.  Our original food prep for 10 people ended up being for just 6 people due to sickness and concerns about black ice.  There were LOTS of leftovers.  I think there was a whole pie or other type dessert for each person who was there.

The turkey turned out great.  18.7 lb bird took close to 8.5 hours from start to finish in the Bradley and then a TBE for several hours to crisp the skin.