Looking at digital

Started by North River, December 02, 2014, 05:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North River

Hi,

I'm up in the NW. Currently running a Little Chief and a Great Smoky Mt. Looking at something digital to add to the collection.

- Rick

TedEbear

Welcome aboard.  What are your specific reasons for wanting a digital?  If it is for tighter temp control we can maybe offer some ideas before you buy it.

North River

Quote from: TedEbear on December 02, 2014, 07:33:00 PM
  What are your specific reasons for wanting a digital? 

Honestly, because I can get the digital model cheaper than I can get the original version.  Cabela's has the digital on sale for $399. I have a coupon for $60 off. Cabela's is also offering 15% back if I use my Cabela's visa (another $60 off). With my $30 in points,it brings the final price to $249.

TedEbear

OK, the reason I asked is because some people pay extra for the digital, thinking that it offers a tighter temp control.  It doesn't.  Then they go out and purchase a PID controller to solve that issue and they could have saved some money on the OBS non-digital.  In your case it sounds like the digital was the less expensive way to go in the first place.

KyNola

Ted brings up a point that comes up on a regular basis so let's ask the appropriate questions.  Do you intend to make sausages that require smoking?  Do you intend to smoke fish that requires tight temperature control?  if not then the digital will work just fine for you as will the original.  They will have temperature swings just as your home oven.  Tight temp controls are not required on butts, briskets, ribs, poultry and most other cuts of meat.

If you are a sausage maker then Ted's advice may be correct for you.