FTC

Started by Jim O, November 30, 2014, 08:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim O

In case it's ready before dinner,If I FTC some salmon to keep it warm,does it continue to cook ?
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Salmonsmoker

Short answer, no. I've never done this, so it would be interesting to see if there were other elements at play to see if the quality downgraded with time. I think I would not go higher that Chef's Medium temp. 130F - 145F, especially with salmon, and probably at the lower end because you'll get a little residual heat spike.
Here's a few useful science type notes for anyone that's interested:
http://www.americastestkitchen.com/science/6844-mysterious-salmon-ooze?incode=MASAZ00L0
What causes that rancid fishy taste in re-heated salmon: 
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/8365-how-to-reheat-fish?incode=MCSCZ00L0
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

iceman

Salmonsmoker could you by chance copy and paste the article on reheating salmon. The link won't let me read the article unless I join a free trial membership to CI.
Thanks  :)

Jim O you don't by chance have a Sous Vide cooker do you? They can cook/hold fish for awhile without over cooking it. We are hooked on fish and veggies done in this type of cooker.

Jim O

Iceman : No I don't have a Sous Vide cooker (next on my list ).
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Salmonsmoker

Iceman, I looked all over for the whole article from Americas Test Kitchen(experimenting wing of CI) and so far haven't re-located it. I knew I should've "saved" the article. I will send a query to them and see if I can get a response. Basically, has to do with the high oil content of salmon, combined with the heat of cooking and oxygen from the air. The reaction produces aldehydes.  From Wiki: ( Aldehydes have properties that are diverse and that depend on the remainder of the molecule. Smaller aldehydes are more soluble in water, formaldehyde and acetaldehyde completely so. The volatile aldehydes have pungent odors. Aldehydes degrade in air via the process of autoxidation.) The underlined part applies here. Everytime you re-heat salmon there are more aldehydes produced and the smell gets stronger. In that same group, acetaldehyde is another compound that causes off-flavors and aromas in beer brewing.
I have a sous vide unit, still in the box that I haven't used yet. Will have to give it a try. From a post by "tailfeathers", Anova Cullinary was running a $150 special on their units. This one clamps to the side of a pot and will heat up to and maintain temp. of 6 gals. of H2O. They still run specials periodically.

pmmpete

If you want big time sous vide, check out Kirby's latest idea at http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=34923 .

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: iceman on December 02, 2014, 12:25:08 PM
Salmonsmoker could you by chance copy and paste the article on reheating salmon. The link won't let me read the article unless I join a free trial membership to CI.
Thanks  :)

Jim O you don't by chance have a Sous Vide cooker do you? They can cook/hold fish for awhile without over cooking it. We are hooked on fish and veggies done in this type of cooker.

Habs,
I got a reply back from CI and  this is the only article that they could find. I must be mistaken in thinking that there was more to the article. It's pretty much what I posted before, but here's the article.
How to Reheat Fish

From Cook's Illustrated | March/April 2014
Add to Favorites
Email
Print

Fish is easy to overcook, which makes the prospect of reheating leftovers even more daunting. Here's how to do it.

Fish is notoriously susceptible to overcooking, so reheating previously cooked fillets is something that makes nearly all cooks balk. But since almost everyone has leftover fish from time to time, we decided to figure out the best approach to warming it up.

As we suspected, we had far more success reheating thick fillets and steaks than thin ones. Both swordfish and halibut steaks reheated nicely, retaining their moisture well and with no detectable change in flavor. Likewise, salmon reheated well, but be aware that, thanks to the oxidation of its abundant fatty acids into strong-smelling aldehydes, doing so brought out a bit more of the fish's pungent aroma. There was little we could do to prevent trout from drying out and overcooking when heated a second time.

To reheat thicker fish fillets, use this gentle approach: Place the fillets on a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet, cover them with foil (to prevent the exteriors of the fish from drying out), and heat them in a 275-degree oven until they register 125 to 130 degrees, about 15 minutes for 1-inch-thick fillets (timing varies according to fillet size). We recommend serving leftover cooked thin fish in cold applications like salads.

Habanero Smoker

Hi SS;

Thanks for taking the time to post that. Iceman wanted to see the article.

I have a, American Kitchen Multi-Site Membership so I have access to all their articles on all their sites. They do have various articles on cooking fish, some are more lengthy, but most of them are around the size of the article you posted. They have an interesting one on why you should brine fish, even if it is only for 5 minutes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Salmonsmoker

Sorry Habs. I'd forgotten it was Ice that wanted that. Here ya go Iceman!(previous post)

iceman

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 12, 2014, 01:01:42 PM
Hi SS;

Thanks for taking the time to post that. Iceman wanted to see the article.

I have a, American Kitchen Multi-Site Membership so I have access to all their articles on all their sites. They do have various articles on cooking fish, some are more lengthy, but most of them are around the size of the article you posted. They have an interesting one on why you should brine fish, even if it is only for 5 minutes.

I have the same membership and will look for the article on brining fish.