Do you rest cheese?

Started by JML54, December 26, 2014, 12:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JML54

I have a mix of cheeses in the smoker (White and Yellow Cheddar, Farmers and Gouda).  Looking to do about 2 to 3 hours of apple smoke.  Outside temp is 22F and smoker is running 93F.  My question is would it be best to rest it overnight after it comes out of the Bradley or can I just seal it  up?
Hoping everyone is having a wonderful holiday season.
Thanks
Joe Luebeck

ragweed

I usually let it rest on the counter for an hour or two, then seal and frig.  If it's real soft cheese, I put it in the frig for that time period before I vac seal.  But that's just me.  If Pensrock responds, take what he says "to the bank".  He's my go to cheese expert on this forum....Joe

pensrock

Ragweed has you on the right track. Allow it to completely cool before wrapping. Depending on how big the chunks are it may take several hours. Pat it dry if needed with paper towels. 93 F is ok as long as the cheeses does not start to melt. You will get better color with the warm temps. The color will darken some as it cools before wrapping. If you start getting above 95 then I would slightly crack the door open to let it cool some. Do not worry about losing smoke there is plenty in there to do the job. If it gets too warm not only do you chance melting it and making cheese globs, (I have not actually done this but have seen pics where it has happened) but oil can separate from the cheese and if too much oil comes out it can get crumbly and dry.