E1 and oven temperature

Started by duane, December 23, 2014, 12:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duane

Just acquired a digital smoker from my brother-in-law who was going to trash it.  After replacing the fuse holder on the back of the smoke generator (he broke it trying to remove the fuse), the digital panel lights up and everything seems to work, but I am getting the E1 code and the oven temperature is reading 32 degrees.  In browsing this forum, I see that the E1 code means a temperature sensor cable or temperature sensor.  Am I safe to assume that with both problems I am having that it is the temperature sensor or should I replace both.

Thanks
Duane

Habanero Smoker

Hi Duane,

Welcome to the forum.

Both problems may not be related. You may not have to replace the temperature sensor cable or the sensor itself.

The below link will help you troubleshoot the problem(s) you are having.
Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dave01

try cleaning the ends of the cable and replugging it in. if that don't work try swapping the end and try it again

bushrat

More than likely its just the cable ends, they can be finicky.

duane

First of all, Merry Christmas to everyone, and thanks for the replies.  Next, after messing with the smoker a little bit, I have noticed that the oven temperature is correct when the smoke generator is advancing a briquette, as soon as the advance turns off, the oven temperature goes back to 32 degrees.  What gives?

Thanks
Duane

dave01

That sounds like it could be a connection problem inside the smoke generator. Maybe you could take it apart and clean as well as retighten everything

Habanero Smoker

If it is not due to any loose wires, you may have a faulty panel.

When the display is reading 32°F, what is the ambient temperature? When you say the temperature is correct, what is the temperature reading that is being displayed while the bisquette burner is working, and are you using another thermometer to monitor those temperatures? Depending on the ambient temperature, and if there is direct sunlight on the smoker, the cabinet temperature can get as high as 180°F with no food in it; with only the bisquette burning working. When the temperature was working, was the heating element glowing red?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

duane

Habanero, I am working on the smoker in my basement, so I know the 32 degrees isn't correct.  As soon as I turn the smoke on, the oven temperature jumps up to room temp.  As soon as the the briquette advance stops the oven temp drops back to 32.  The heating element is heating up, but the oven temp does not change from 32.  I am starting to think it is a faulty panel, is there any way to check this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

The below link may help you; though it is mainly a fix for buttons that don't work properly. Also, even though your Bradley may be beyond your warranty, they still will provide support. This is a problem that has not been posted in the past, so Monday you should give them a call.
Digital Panel Doesn't Work Properly

North American Customer Service Bradley phone lines are open 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CST; Monday through Friday
Toll Free: (866) 508-7514
Local: (309) 343-1124
Fax: (309) 343-1126

For more information: http://www.north-america.bradleysmoker.com/contact/#sthash.Ce17C501.dpuf

I
         don't
                   inhale.