need smoked nuts and bolts recipe

Started by Tiffin, December 05, 2014, 08:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiffin

Alright people holidays are coming and i want to try out a batch of smoked nuts and bolts, chex mix, trail mix, whatever you want to call them, random cereals crackers and nuts etc.
Share your recipes with me if you could be so kind!
Thanks in advance, Tiffin
BDS4 unmodified

TedEbear

Check this one out:  Double Stuff Smoked Chex Mix

You might check out the Vegetables, Cheese, Nuts section for even more ideas.

Tiffin

looks great thanks! Thinking ill omit the pecans and add a cheesy cracker though.
ill post results.
BDS4 unmodified

TedEbear

Sounds good.  Everybody tends to modify the recipe to their own liking. My wife doesn't like a lot of peanuts so we're cutting back on those and adding more pecans. Also, we swapped the pretzel rods for buttery pretzel squares.

After I posted those links the other day it reminded me how much everyone at our family get-together Christmas dinner liked the smoked Chex Mix last year.  That's coming up in a few weeks and I need to make some more.  It tastes better after it sits for a few weeks so I'm going to make it this evening.  We bought all of the ingredients earlier today but I just discovered that I'm out of cheese cloth.  The good thing is Home Depot sells it by the roll and there's one not far from me.

I guess I'd better stop typing and start shopping. Post some pics of your finished product.   :)

TedEbear

I made a double batch of the Chex Mix last night and smoked it with cherry for 3 hours.  I didn't take any pics but it looks similar to this batch below that I made last year.

Tiffin

Well here's my batch.
I added a lot of ingredients.
1 bag of cheddar fishy crackers
1 bag of pretzel fishy crackers
3 cups of Hawkins cheezies
3 cups of original bugles
Added an extra half cup of butter and some extra seasoned salt, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce.
I didn't use pecans either.
I used 3 hours of oak.
Right out of the smoker the smoke flavour was quite strong. Though very tasty. Going to let it rest at least a week and give er another try.
BDS4 unmodified