Skinless Atlantic Salmon

Started by Meatatarian, December 21, 2014, 10:43:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meatatarian

I just did a test batch, two fillets with skin on, of Atlantic salmon with Kummok's brine and it was outstanding!  I am now going to do a full load but can only get skinned Atlantic salmon at present and I'm worried about it sticking to the racks.  I have the non stick jerky racks from bradley but am still apprehensive.  From what I have read, people are spraying their racks with non stick cooking spray but is it enough?  I was thinking of using parchment paper instead.  I know some say its not a good idea but would it not act like the skin on the fish naturally does?

scubadoo97

Usually a spray of cooking spray is sufficient.  The salmon still has a fair amount of fat in it

dave01

I agree with subadoo, just use a little spray, with no skin on the oil is going to cook down anyway so you won't have any trouble

Meatatarian

Habanero Smoker

Also take them off the racks as soon as possible. If you wait until the fish cools, the sugars that have caramelized and have coated the racks hardens, and it makes it more difficult to remove the fish without it breaking up.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 22, 2014, 01:53:23 AM
Also take them off the racks as soon as possible. If you wait until the fish cools, the sugars that have caramelized and have coated the racks hardens, and it makes it more difficult to remove the fish without it breaking up.

X2
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Meatatarian

Good tip for pulling them off the racks before cooling, thanks.  Its going to be a busy day in the smoker, 4 racks of salmon this afternoon and then the pork butt will go in around 10:00 this evening for tomorrow.

Meatatarian

Here is a before, I will see if they are worthy of a pica after!

pmmpete

Here's another thing you can do to reduce the amount that your smoked fish stick to the racks:  After you have set the fish on the racks in front of a fan for an hour or so to dry off the surface of the fish ("develop a pedicle"), which is necessary so the fish will absorb smoke flavor well, before you stick the racks in your smoker, pick each piece of fish up off the rack and then set it back down, so it won't already be glued to the rack with dried brine when you stick the fish in the smoker.

Meatatarian

Thanks pete, will be sure to do that next time.  I am not as happy with this batch as I see its progression.  The first batch I did, turned out perfect.  This batch I think the fish is fattier.  Some is nearing completion and some is still spongy and feels mushy to the touch.  I tried to cut all pieces to uniform size and put any smaller, thinner ones on the top rack.  I'm not sure if you can see in the picture or not but there seems to  be a heavy fat line (if thats what its called) between the meat layers.  Was this just poor fish selection on my part?  I guess I really didn't know what to look for and got lucky on the first batch perhaps.