Sous Vide Strip Sirloin Roast

Started by OldHickory, December 21, 2014, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldHickory

Von's Market had these choice roasts for $5.95/#...... I couldn't resist.  It's close to Christmas and I will be smoking a rib roast, but I wanted to try this. 

3.6 #,  marbling looks good. First I seasoned with garlic salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and then vacuum packed for the water bath.

S V water bath set @ 130* and stable with the roast in for 5 hr. I removed the roast and let it stand in the vacuum bag for 30 min. to reabsorb some of the juices.

I placed the roast into a cast iron skillet in a preheated 500* oven for 4 min.

I tented under foil for 4 min and then sliced the first slice.   We wanted rare and this looked perfect to me.

A few more slices for dinner.

I wanted to smoke after the sear, but every one was hungry and wanted to eat NOW.  Next time..... because this is a repeat.  Ms. Hickory served with twice baked potatoes and a green mixed salad, and a 2010 Merlot.  This was a wonderful meal.  For those who want a more medium or medium-rare, set the water bath at 138*-140* for a cook time of 4 hrs. 30 min.  You can  set to whatever your choice might be.   
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

dave01

Must have been at the beach for to long, I never even heard of this way of cooking until a couple of months ago and although I haven't tried it yet I'm hooked. I first became interested in this as a way of finishing sausage. Now I need to figure out what options and brands are out there and what units are the best. Any suggestions would be helpful

renoman

Quote from: dave01 on December 21, 2014, 03:00:38 PM
Must have been at the beach for to long, I never even heard of this way of cooking until a couple of months ago and although I haven't tried it yet I'm hooked. I first became interested in this as a way of finishing sausage. Now I need to figure out what options and brands are out there and what units are the best. Any suggestions would be helpful

I use this one
http://anovaculinary.com/products/anova?gclid=Cj0KEQiAn9-kBRDloNeUw7Pe_YwBEiQA4HXMU9QYVbx24Jtxmb122nvTuwyf_xpNrusNYHifANJFs3EaAjyt8P8HAQ

This is becoming an indispensable way of cooking meat for me. You just can't overcook it.

tailfeathers

I also have the Anova unit and love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

The Anova model I have is a little different than the one shown in the post. It has a different style clamp and control head.

WoodlawnSmoker

That looks really good!  I'm so intrigued with this tool, every time a sous vide post comes up I end up looking on amazon but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.  Soon I'm betting.

OldHickory

This is my set-up:

I have had  the analog crock pot for over 15 years.   I bought the Dorkfood controller at least twenty cooks ago with no problems.  It maintains the water bath within 1* of the set temp, once the bath is stable.  My cost was $100 on Amazon and I am perfectly happy with this controller.  I do recommend it.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

iceman

We have the Dorkfood DSV and love it.
Most of the time we use this little gem.

scubadoo97

Quote from: tailfeathers on December 22, 2014, 07:24:04 AM
The Anova model I have is a little different than the one shown in the post. It has a different style clamp and control head.

You must have the Precision Cooker, the new one. I have both. The Version 1 has a stronger motor and heater and it is bit louder but both work great

OldHickory, the roast looks excellent. No need to let meat rest after SV cooking.  You may want to try one of these for searing in the future

The Searzal. It's like a mini salamander

renoman

scubadoo97

Here's a shoulder roast I cooked SV 135f x 24 hrs yesterday.  Post SV and post  searing with the searzal.

And the final cut

Roast beef sandwiches coming up

dave01

Every time I read this post I see a new toy. Now it's the Searzal. Christmas may have to come several times this year

renoman

Beautiful roast! Goes to show how Sous Vide works so well. I will have to look into the Searzal because some things like ribs are hard to sear on the inside and will have that unappetizing grey look.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: dave01 on December 25, 2014, 01:53:16 PM
Every time I read this post I see a new toy. Now it's the Searzal. Christmas may have to come several times this year

This forum can be hazardous to your wallet!
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

tailfeathers

No kidding![emoji6]