Question about smoking Pork roast

Started by mbm1100, March 13, 2015, 09:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbm1100

I have a 5 lb pork roast.  I was just wondering how long to smoke it for, temp to cook it at and also if the vent should be open or closed any info would be great. thanks.

beefmann

2 to 3 hours of smoke, box temp at 215 - 225 F and pull the roast at 140-145 F if you want to  slice it,  and ready to ear in 2 to 4 hours, if you want it as pulled pork then 195 - 200 F and be ready in 5 to 7 hours, top Vent is always  wide open.

you can use your favourite rub on the  roast, and go from there, keep the water bowl full of water, with this short of a  smoke , it may not be an  issue.

good luck

mbm1100

jebjr

Or you could do similar to a brisket. I sometimes will brine the large pork roast, sometimes not, then put in the smoker at 10:00 evening - then the following morning 'EARLY' check the 'meat' internal temperature, and another stack of pucs and start the smoking again till roughly about late afternoon. Then I check the 'meat' internal temperature and adjust the heat control accordingly to be finished around late afternoon to supper time. I belive in smoking the whole time wether it's a 4 hour smoke or an 18 hour smoke. I have had the best luck keeping the door temperature prode at 200 degrees or slightly higher.

Long & Slow!! I've gotten my son-in-law involved also. He bought a Bradley Original Smoker and following my instructions and tips from the forum has gotten the same results... deliciousness!! The only difference between him and me is with pork roasts he likes to inject, I don't. I think it's more of a personal thing.

The only time I won't smoke is about the last hour just to burn up the last puc close to the end of my smoking time. Also, I don't remember but I think the timer is good for 9 hours? Mayby? I don't remember as I've had problem with the unit sporadically pushing out too many pucs so I've had to depend on my phone stopwatch every 20 minutes to add a puc. Not good for overnight Briskets or large Pork Roasts. I now have a micro-switch and motor ordered as this was the recommendation by the Bradley Service Department. (sounds like parts changers as I've checked the operation of the linkage and also with an ohmn meter)

Thanks,
John...