10lb Pork Butt

Started by Smokesmore, December 25, 2014, 07:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Dog

Looks like it turned out great. Were you happy with the results?  Does 210f make a difference?
If a man said he'll fix it, he will. There is no need to remind him every 6 months about it.

Spliner

I generally take mine to 200-205 instead of 195.  You can pull the bone out by hand after a good FTC.

Here's my method, seems to work well for me every time:

1)  Trim and rub with your favorite rub the day before and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
2)  The next day sit them out for at least an hour at room temp (or as others have said, put them in a 225 oven for a while before smoking).
3)  While the smoker is pre-heating (I turn mine all the way up - it's a non-digital Bradley 4-rack) I put a nice coat of molasses on the butts then add more rub as I see fit.
4)  Smoke them for 4-5 hours with apple wood (my preference) and let them cook until they hit 200F to 205F IT. 
5)  Pull them, wrap tightly in foil and put them in the cooler with towels (FTC) for at least an hour, usually 2 if I have time.
6)  Unwrap and pull/shred them.  Eat.. enjoy.. eat more. 

I'll generally do 2 8-10lb butts at once and vacuum seal and freeze the leftovers in 2lb pouches.  Then I pull it out and re-heat and it's as good as the day I smoked it.  Great in soups, beans, omelets, damn near anything you can use an excuse to put smoked pork in.

Here's how the bark turns out for me using molasses (this one was so tender and juicy at 205 that it broke open under its own weight):

You can't go wrong with pulled pork.  Pull it at 195, 190, 200, 205 it really doesn't matter, do what feels right to you.  If you can stick a fork in and twist and see that it's tender you're golden.  It's hard to mess up pulled pork in the Bradley.  Times will vary, pork takes as long as pork takes.  So always allow yourself an extra 2-3 hours minimum and if it gets done early just FTC it.  FTC'ing has never messed up my bark, if anything it softens it a bit and allows me to pull it apart with the meat rather than chopping it by hand and adding it back in.

Spliner

sage03

Spliner

It was good.  I really wish I could get beef to turn out as good as pork does.  Beef always dries out on me too much.  Honestly though I have not tried the molasses on it, that might help.  It's also hard to find a good thick chuck roast around here in my area, and most you can find are 3 lb to 4 lb.  I would love to do a huge 8-10 lb bone-in chuck roast like I do the pork butts.  I guess I'm going to have to order one from the butcher sometime.

Spliner