Controlling the BS Temperature

Started by nsxbill, July 15, 2004, 12:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsxbill

I have been in touch with the owner of the temperature controller, Barbecue Guru.  I have asked him if this is something adaptable to the Bradley.  He will be discussing with his crew and will be calling me when he gets back from a trip he is now on.  

I have not even fired up my new SS-BS to season it, and can see the benefit of Hi-Lo limit switches to control the heat.  The Barbecue Guru has a chimney vent controlled by the switches, and I really don't think the BS generates enough heat to need an automatic heat release damper.

The concept, applied to the Bradley to control voltage to the heating element might be a better road to take.  I would be interested in getting any feedback that the group might have on things they would like to see a controller do.    The controller MSiler made working like an oven thermostat would turn lamp off and on.   I wonder if a range of temp controlled by two switches automatically would be a better choice for our smokers.

I am a pretty lazy guy.  When you ask someone who is lazy to do something, many times they will find an easier way to do something.  I really don't want to stay out to watch the temp on my Bradley , or keep checking it with it if there is an automatic option.

Welcome back from Alaska, Kirk.  I enjoyed the cruise to Alaska, but certainly agree that the tourist traps along the way were not really what I went to Alaska to see.  I definitely acquired a taste for Alaskan Amber, and glad it is available in the stores in California.   Goodbye Newcastle, and hello to Alaska Amber as my new beer of choice.

Please give me feedback on what you would like a controller to do.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Cold Smoke

NSXBill- I'd be interested in something that would allow us to "set it and forget it". Let us know how that works out. I'm technologically challenged in a big way and hope it doesn't come with 10 pages of scematics. [xx(]

Cold Smoke

nsxbill

Hello Coldsmoke,

I honestly think MSiler's controller would meet our needs to control, but posted up an inquiry, request to order, and no reply(Vacation maybe).  Like you, I am electrically challenged, and would probably buy one before making one myself.

Impatient to get the show on the road, and in light of no response from list member, I am looking for an alternative.  Controlling the temp is a top priority for me.

MSiler are you still out there????  I would like to get one of your controllers if you are going to make them up!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Sesh

I'm interested in this too.  The first time I read msiler's post the part was listed at partsguy.com.  Figuring I remember enough from electronics lab in high school to throw this together I put it in the 'things to get around to' category.  After the first two smokings in my Bradley the need for a temperature control was moved up in importance. Back to partsguy.com I went and couldn't find the part.  I emailed partsguy.com about the part twice and never got a reply.  After some web searching the part turned up at Sear's online parts store for $47.99 and I snagged one, or so I thought.  Turns out they are on backorder.  Now I check the order status about a week later and it says the order is complete but the part is no longer available.  I'm not sure if my part is coming or not but it looks like they aren't available anymore.  I know enough to follow msiler's instructions but not enough to suggest a replacement thermostat.  If I can get my hands on a thermostat I'd be happy to post more detailed instructions on how to build it, maybe even pictures if I can find the digital camera.

Cold Smoke

That's great- another sleuth on the case. I will await your findings.

Cold Smoke

PAsmoker

Sesh, go to your local appliance dealer.  I am sure that they can fix you up with either a new oven therm or even a used one.  I own an appliance store and one of these days, I'm going to get around to making a setup for my BS.  I made one with an old therm I had laying around for a refrig smoker two years ago and it worked great.   If only I had the time and motivation I'd make one for the BS.
The Original PAsmoker

nsxbill

PAsmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Sesh, go to your local appliance dealer. I am sure that they can fix you up with either a new oven therm or even a used one. I own an appliance store and one of these days, I'm going to get around to making a setup for my BS. I made one with an old therm I had laying around for a refrig smoker two years ago and it worked great. If only I had the time and motivation I'd make one for the BS.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<b>Shesh!</b>  I don't want to do it myself.  I have a good schematic of one already.  I don't just want a thermostat.    I want a unit that I can walk away from knowing that the switch system won't let the unit fall under a certain temp and will control voltage after reaching a High temp that I set.  I want to be able to set the high and low... and while I am at it would like one that would also do an auto shut-off after preset hours.

I know my limitations and hopefully will be able to purchase a controller that know will meet my expectations without me frying myself or my BS because I am electrically challenged.

Will keep those interested up on my quest for the ultimate controller.

Bill

PAsmoker

Um, Bill, does not a thermostat control voltage?  I believe a therm will only let it fall a certain number of degrees before it kicks back on and will get to set temp +/- a few degrees before shutting off.
The Original PAsmoker

nsxbill

PA
If you are happy with your unit, great.  Thanks for the response.  Again, for those interested, I will post up my findings when the guy gets back to me.

Bill

nsxbill

I promised I would keep you up on the latest on controlling the temperature on the Bradley Smoker.  I just got off the phone with Fred, who apparently is the Big Kahuna there and discussed the use of the BBQ Guru on the BS.  

I am not an electrical type.  Here is my understanding of what makes the thing work. Needed is assembly or development of a thermocouple that would either plug into the wall or the back of the smoke generator that would essentially ramp up the temperature of the smoker at high heat to maximum, and then when within 15 degrees higher than the goal you set for you food temp, take over the control of the heating element to keep the temperature controlled within a range of temperature you set through the use of microprocessor to measure and ramp up or down to maintain that temperature of the smoker to efficiently meet the goal temperature.  As we talked, he could see the potential to also work with other electrical smokers....Like any business, he has to know that the product he is developing has a market.

Of course, I volunteered to beta test his work. [^]

They have been without internet service and phone service due to financial collapse of his internet and phone company, thus delaying getting back to me.  I was sending emails asking for status and got no reply.  Today, one his tech people got my email and carried it over to the boss.

Seems like a real nice guy, and been doing BBQ his whole life.  Hope he can come up with something that works.

Here is description on how it works.  http://www.thebbqguru.com/ramp_mode.htm

(UPDATE)I have ordered one.  He just called me back and is making up a unit that not only will control the 600W lamp in the guru, but will controll up to 2000Watts so it has broader market for other electrical smokers.   He will have it my hands in 10-14 days so I can test it to see how it works.

Bill

Cold Smoke

Anxious to hear how well this works. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.[:)]

BTW- How many rubles?

Cold Smoke

BigSmoker

I have a BBQ Guru for my ceramic cooker.  If we are talking about the same thing mine will keep the temp within a few degress from set point until you shut the cooker down or until all charcoal burns up.  I would love to see this product for the Bradley.  I'm not sure how they will do it but can't wait to hear the results.  For a charcoal grill a small fan blows on the charcoal.  The fan is controlled by a microprocessor that checks the pit temp every 6 seconds.  It has a setting called ramp mode.  In ramp mode the processor will begin to bring the pit temp down when the meat gets within 25 degrees f of target temp.  By the time the meat is done the pit temp should be the same or a little less than meat temp.  This allows for the meat to stay warm but does not continue to cook it.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

This is a done deal.  I will have the first one.  I paid $148 for the Guru without the damper control, and some more for the controller - can't say how much because they are presently making it and have not set the exact retail price.  If you are lucky enough to already have a guru, you just have to have the piece they are making for me.  I will take pix (inside and out) when I receive it. It will have the capability to control far in excess of required for the Bradley heating element, and will have neon light to let me know heating element is on.  The rest unclear until I get the item.

I am excited, as the first two smokes I did, I was out there constantly manipulating temp, and this will free me up to do other things.

Bill

BigSmoker

The light to let you know when the heating element is on is probally
the same light that lets you know when the fan is running on a charcoal unit.  I really can't wait to see how this thing works.  Bill you seem to be leading Shotgun Fred into a new phase in his "Guru work".[:)]  Maybe you should ask for a prototype discount?  I know if this thing works many people will want one.  The WebMaster on the Primo ceramic grill forum set Primo users up with a 10% discount.  Thats when I bought mine[;)]  Good luck and happy smokin'.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

Fred,

I copied your note and sent it to Shotgun Fred.  I know he gave me a cut on the "Demo Model" already, but I did hit him up for a discount for list members.  I will certainly post up what his response is and a review of the final product.

Bill