Smoking time question - brisket on multiple racks

Started by jayluft, January 31, 2015, 08:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayluft

Question for the group...I purchased a 12 lbs brisket that I am smoking and need to cut in half to fit onto the racks. Do I still follow the typical estimated time frames of around 1.5 per pound - in this case, approximately 18 hours, or because I now have two 6 lbs briskets on individual racks, do I need to adjust the approximate time per pound? Just trying to get the timing right for the Super Bowl party :-).

manfromplaid

I am interested in what the more experienced people say about this. I have found it to be a shorter time but a lot depends on temps to start with. preheat well  the closer to room temp the meat is to start (still need to be sure there is no spoilage) ambeiant temps  how fast your smoker recovers after the door is opened. still a good idea to give yourself extra time to finish. can always ftc if done early    but the time  not sure   
jeff

tailfeathers

First I would tell you to look at the recipe site for how to fit a brisket on one rack by "humping" it. I've done a 19# packer without having to cut it. To answer your question I would say that your cook time will be reduced somewhat but by no means halved. Allow yourself plenty of time, you can FTC the brisket for at least four hours and it will still be to hot to handle with bare hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

jayluft

Too late to hump :-).

Ka Honu

iceman

jayluft

I knew as soon as I hit enter I was in trouble.  ::)

Anyone help?

KyNola

You're still looking at 1.5-2 hours per pound but only for 6 pounds rather than 12 and the half that has the point will most likely take longer than the half with only the flat.  The point half should be thicker.  I would monitor the temp on the flat half and get it out of there and then watch the point half.  And remember, the 1.5-2 hours per pound is only a guideline.  It all depends on the cow. 

jayluft

Thanks KyNola. I calculated around 10-11 hours and plan on putting the slightly thinner piece on the higher rack. Of course, temp temp temp.

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: jayluft on January 31, 2015, 08:42:16 AM
Question for the group...I purchased a 12 lbs brisket that I am smoking and need to cut in half to fit onto the racks. Do I still follow the typical estimated time frames of around 1.5 per pound - in this case, approximately 18 hours, or because I now have two 6 lbs briskets on individual racks, do I need to adjust the approximate time per pound? Just trying to get the timing right for the Super Bowl party :-).

I always opt for two smaller ones.  Seem to cook more evenly plus and this is the big plus, more ends.

I usually figure with two (6-8lb briskets) about 18 hours.  That gives me more than enough time to FTC.  I then figure about 30 mins for every 2 lbs additional.