Need help with smoke generator

Started by Thumpinbass, March 03, 2015, 12:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpinbass

Have 2 briskets in my BDS.   I put enough apple bisque in for 4 hrs of smoke.  After an hour and a half,  I went to just check the smoker without opening it up.   All my discs cycled through already.    So I opened the door and they were all in the water pan with most of them never burned. 

So I decided to put 6 more in the tube.  It fed one, then the next one and so forth.  Next minute I know, the smoke generator display where it says the temp displays an 'E'.   So I turned off the smoke generator.   The smoker is still going as an oven but that's it.   

Any idea why it's feeding my discs continuously?    The first 4 hours of 2 other brisket went fine.   

Allen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

The "E" error is an indication that there may be a problem with the micro switch, or there is some type of obstructions. To trouble shoot you will need to open the generator.

Since the generator is feeding the bisquettes manually to the burner, to get you through this cook I would load it with 3 bisquettes and push the feed button three times. That way only one of the bisquettes will make it to the burner. Set a timer for 20 minutes and when they goes off, load another bisquette and manually feed, set the timer again for 20 minutes and repeat until you have completed the 4 hours of smoke. It will be a pain in the neck, but it will get you through this cook, until you can work on your generator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Thumpinbass

That's the thing,  I don't have any pucks in right now and as soon as I set the timer, it starts pushing, even when there is nothing there and keeps moving.   So you are saying to just let it keep trying to push a puck continuously and add a puck every 20 minutes?

Allen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

If you only load it with three pucks, even if the generator continues to cycle only one of the pucks will reach the burner, two will stay on the guide rail; which will be pucks #3 and #2. After 20 minutes add another puck in the chute; that will be puck #4. The generator will cycle puck #4 through, and it will move puck #2 to the burner, and pucks #4 and #3 will be on the guide rail until after another 20 minutes when you add puck #5 in the chute. It's a pain, but it will get you through the cook.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)