Opinions on Fresh vs Frozen Briskets

Started by Thumpinbass, February 06, 2015, 01:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpinbass

I agree with the flats.   It had it (fat cal) but was almost at the 1/4" thickness so not much trimming was needed.   It's going on the 3 hr mark right now so smoking part will end.   IT is at 165 right now.   Seems to be cooking pretty quick but being a flat, it's only about an inch thick. 

Allen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumpinbass

So after 6 hours, the IT temp reached 192 so I decided to take it off since I still wanted it to rest for 30 minutes before eating and it was already 8:30p. 

Anyways, everything tastes great, but the brisket was still kinda tough.   Shall I assume it's because I took it off too soon?   Mid I had time, I probably would have kept it on for another hour or so.   

Overall, I was happy with it, just could have been a little more tender.

Allen

Habanero Smoker

If you cut against the grain and it was not tender, it probably needed more cook time. I'm not sure how thick your slices were, but you can try slicing the brisket thinner.

I use the internal meat temperature as a guide, as to when to start fork testing to check the tenderness. If the fork can be inserted with no resistance, and removed easily; it is done. If you want shredded brisket, you should be able to insert the fork without resistance and you should be able to twist the fork. If it is a whole brisket, I test the area where the point and flat meet. If it is just a flat, I will test in the thickest part.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Quote from: Thumpinbass on February 07, 2015, 06:36:30 PM
So after 6 hours, the IT temp reached 192 so I decided to take it off since I still wanted it to rest for 30 minutes before eating and it was already 8:30p. 

The probe tip may have been in a fat pocket and given you a false reading.  The rest of the brisket might not have been 192.  When something seems to cook faster than normal I move the probe to a different location and see if it reads the same temp at both places.

Thumpinbass

Since this was my second ever brisket,  I'm still learning which way the grain is going.   I might had gotten lucky with my first one because it was very tender but it was also at an IT of around 205. 

I was aiming for slices, so the slices came out ok but was kinda tough to cut.  I know it wasn't the knife. 

I never did move the probe around either.   

Learn from your mistakes and live to smoke another day. 

Overall, it tasted great though.  I was happy as was the rest of my family.

Allen

manfromplaid

thanks habs. for posting that site. I have added it to my favorites so I can use it at at later time.
jeff

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: manfromplaid on February 08, 2015, 06:00:31 AM
thanks habs. for posting that site. I have added it to my favorites so I can use it at at later time.
jeff

You are welcome! It is one of my favorite sites. Full of recipes, tips and techniques.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)