Can't control temp/ temp reading wrong

Started by toolhawk, January 20, 2015, 08:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toolhawk

Problem controlling temp , bradley controller is set to 160 , says it's 165 ish, can't really tell in pic , but actually it's 118 degrees,  I have 2 digital probes reading the same , what could be the issue?
[/img]

tskeeter

The readings you will get will depend on where temperature probes are placed.  But, a 40 degree disparity is pretty large.

My first question is do you have your v-tray installed?  And is it properly placed?  The temperature sensor in the digitals is mounted in the back wall of the smoker.  Directly above the heating element.  So it's reading the "hotest" part of the smoker.  Part of the purpose of the v-tray is to help distribute the heat more evenly in the smoker.  If the v-tray is not installed and up against the back wall of the smoker, the heat distribution is affected.

A couple of years back, a forum member did a study of the temperature distribution in his smoker.  In general, the smoker was warmest at the lowest rack, against the back wall of the smoker, and coolest at the top rack closest to the door.  Reported temps were hotter at the back and cooler at the door for any given tray.  And hotter at the bottom tray and cooler at the top tray.  My recollection is that the temps ranged across a spread of about 15 or 20 degrees.

In order to try to improve the temperature distribution in their smokers, some forum members have crimped the vents in the back half of their v-tray partially closed (I'm one of those folks).  I don't know if it really makes any difference because I didn't do any before and after tests.  But, my theory is that it won't hurt the temperature distribution, so why not.

Another thought is that your smoker looks well used.  I wonder if a buildup of seasoning on the temperature sensor could be affecting the readings?  Might be worth it to go at the temp sensor with a rag dampened with warm water to remove any buildup.  The temp sensor is a dime sized, button shaped object mounted through the back wall of your smoker, about 1/3 - 1/2 of the way up the smoker from the bottom.

toolhawk

I had 2 digital temp readers and a dial 1 in different places , I will check and clean temp sensor a give it a try tonight, Thanks that might just do it!

[/img]

tskeeter

Toolhawk, I don't think this is a factor in the disparity in your temp readings, but I'll mention it for the benefit of others.

Is it possible that the thermometers are in contact with the food you are smoking, and reading the temps of the food, rather than the cabinet temperature? 

My smoker has a through the wall temperature probe.  As a piece of pork shoulder in the rack below the temperature probe warmed up, it bulged and touched the temperature probe.  As a result, the temp probe was reading the meat temp rather than the cabinet temp.

cholderness

Clean of the watch battery size sensor on the back wall of the smoker. I had the same problem and this resolved my heating problem.