Chicken Dogs

Started by ragweed, January 21, 2015, 10:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragweed

I found myself with 4 1/2 lbs ground chicken hind 1/4s and no need for them since I had changed my sausage plans for my goose meat.  Once again, this forum came to the rescue.  I found a recipe for chicken sausage by Northern_Smoke.

Fresh sage, basil and garlic plus some NFDM, MTQ and sugar.

Ground fine 2X and stuffed into hog casings.

Turned out pretty good with the texture of hot dogs.

Thanks for posting, Northern_Smoke!!

seemore

Those look great ragweed be there in 5 hours get the grill lit
Seemore

cobra6223

lookin pretty good Joe !

Orion

Looks really good, such a nice change from the usual sausage. Thanks for sharing.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

pikeman_95

watchdog56

Could we get the recipe?

ragweed

Quote from: watchdog56 on January 30, 2015, 05:33:11 AM
Could we get the recipe?

You bet!  Heading to a hockey game now.  Will find and post later.

ragweed

Quote from: ragweed on January 30, 2015, 04:04:41 PM
Quote from: watchdog56 on January 30, 2015, 05:33:11 AM
Could we get the recipe?

You bet!  Heading to a hockey game now.  Will find and post later.

The recipe I followed was posted by Northern_Smoke, August 21, 2014, entitled: Chicken Sausage idea anyone? in Sausage Making.  I used fresh garlic, sage and basil.  Only let the MTQ, sugar and chicken "cure" for 2 hrs.  Treated them as fresh sausage.  Grilling or poaching before eating.  BTW, the local hockey team won in a shootout, 3-2!!

pikeman_95

I have a question. Did you grind the skin with the meat or were they skinless? Did you add any kind of other fat?

Kirby

ragweed

Quote from: pikeman_95 on January 31, 2015, 07:12:30 AM
I have a question. Did you grind the skin with the meat or were they skinless? Did you add any kind of other fat?

Kirby

The hind 1/4s were pretty ugly when I got them home and unpackaged.  Lots of fat with the back attached.  Guess that's why they were only 79 cents/lb.  Duh!  I trimmed them up but left most of the skin and the better looking fat.  Probably ended up being around 15% fat and skin.

pikeman_95

I am not a big fan of chicken skin but I do realize that that is where much of the fat is at. Do you think they would have been too dry without the skin.

ragweed

Quote from: pikeman_95 on January 31, 2015, 07:24:58 AM
I am not a big fan of chicken skin but I do realize that that is where much of the fat is at. Do you think they would have been too dry without the skin.

Yes, I think so.  They weren't terribly juicy.  Just about right, for us.  I suppose one could sub pork fat for the chicken skin.  But it might alter the flavor.  Who knows, maybe for the better!

Northern_Smoke

Looks like I am a little late for the party but glad the sausages worked out for you. I had never thought about making hot dogs out of this. We make it in about 2" fibrous casings so I can slice it up for the kids so they can take home made "lunchables" to school for lunch. I may have to try a hot dog or smokey sized sausage. Thanks for the idea.

By the way, here is the original post for the sausages. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=35614.0
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.