New Smoker in Australia - Temp Control

Started by Mayweather, January 13, 2015, 03:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayweather

Hi all,

I am brand new to smoking and just invested in the Bradley 4 Rack Digital. I have read some of the Amazon reviews and people have said this unit is poor at maintaining temperature accurately and someone suggested and Auberin PID controller or something. I believe the smoker plugs into this unit. Given i am in Australia and we have different 240V plugs here can i still use the PID or am i at a loss here?

Also which is the correct PID to purchase assuming i can use it here in Australia. Is the temp control on the Bradley Digital really that bad?

TedEbear

Hello and welcome aboard.  The plug-n-play controllers say this as far as the voltage rating:  100 to 240 VAC 50 /60 Hz

You should be OK.

There is the single probe Model: WS-1210GPH or the dual probe Model: WSD-1200GPH.

As far as the temps swings, they say a regular house oven has temps swings similar to the Bradley but people don't notice it because they usually do not monitor it as closely.  For smoking most things you don't need a tight temp control but people like the accuracy of a PID controller and so they buy one. 

tskeeter

I'm with Ted.  Although the Bradley is subject to significant temperature swings, for many things, the temperature swings aren't a big deal.  I don't think I'd worry about a PID unless I was planning on smoking sausage or fish, where making sure the temperature doesn't exceed your set point is important to a quality product.

Mayweather

Thanks for the information all. Fish may be something i wish to smoke in the near future. Given that the device is rated for Australian standards, can i not just use a travel adapter so i can plug this into a socket in Australia?

Also are there any step by step guides on how to used the Auberin? I am not really sure how it works, but my understanding is i plug the smoker into the Auberin (using a travel adapter?) and then the Auberin plugs into my wall socket (using a travel adapter) and then there is a probe that i place through the smoke vent hole to measure the temperature inside the smoker. Do i have this correct?

Thanks.

tskeeter

Quote from: Mayweather on January 13, 2015, 01:35:39 PM
Thanks for the information all. Fish may be something i wish to smoke in the near future. Given that the device is rated for Australian standards, can i not just use a travel adapter so i can plug this into a socket in Australia?

Also are there any step by step guides on how to used the Auberin? I am not really sure how it works, but my understanding is i plug the smoker into the Auberin (using a travel adapter?) and then the Auberin plugs into my wall socket (using a travel adapter) and then there is a probe that i place through the smoke vent hole to measure the temperature inside the smoker. Do i have this correct?

Thanks.

You've got the basics of it.

If you search the forum, you'll find a couple of tutorials on setting up your Auber.  If I remember correctly, my Auber came with a CD that contained a quick start owner's manual as well as a full set of detailed instructions.  Anyway, I now have two sets of printed instructions to refer to when I need to.  Although the first time you set up an Auber can be a little daunting, it quickly becomes a simple process.

dave01

you have it pretty much figured out. I would get the dual probe PID and when you order it I personally would get the mounted probe for the box temp, they give you a choose of which probe you want. The meat probe can just be placed through the door and close it on the cable, no problem

Mayweather

Thanks all. I would love to order one, but just can't see how i can make it work in Australia. I emailed Auberin and the response i got back was:

Thank you for contacting Auber Instruments. Controller itself supports 220VAC power supply in Australia. For international order, a US power cord is included. Users can splice the connector off the cord to a power strip outlet that meets the local standards for the output. For the input, the controller has standard IEC 320 C13/14 socket. Users can use a computer power cord that meets the local standard to power it.

Just seems too complicated for a novice like me?

Smoking Jim

Hi there Mayweather  i have had the auber duel probe pid wsd 1202 chp designed for the bradley for over 5 years and it works a treat on my 6 rack digital, all you need is a  computer cord to run, i have  several bbq's i like the pellet grill for low and slow and high temp cooks but if you want to smoke food hot or cold  to perfection the bradley is the one that is my opinion.i am in victoria  what state are you in.
Cheers jim.

Mayweather

Hi Jim,

Great to meet a fellow Australian on here! I am in Sydney. I am fairly new to smoking and i have a Weber Smokey Mountain and a Bradley 4 Rack Digital (which arrived in the box a few days ago - still yet to use it). It would be nice to not have to babysit the smoker that is for sure.

dave01

The only end you will have to adapt is the power cord of the PID. Any place that sells plugins and other electrical supplies should have an adapter. I have adapters for my computer so I can plug it in no matter what country I'm in, there easy to find

Mayweather

Thanks for the help guys. I ordered this today and waiting for it to arrive. In relation to the two probes, the one that goes inside the cabinet where am i meant to have it sitting? Touching the middle grate in my digital 4 rack? Is there a process others on here use to keep the probe in place etc?

Cheers

TedEbear

They say to put the cabinet temp probe below the lowest rack where something is cooking.  Try not to place it where grease will be dripping on it and be sure the probe tip is not touching anything, which would give a false chamber temp reading.

You can either dangle it through a rack or hang it below a rack with a couple of modified paper clips.

Grouperman941

Sometimes I use an apple or potato to hold my probe in place.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Divey

Hmmm, I think I may have to invest in one of these.

I smoked some Bacon is my new 6 rack Bradley yesterday and I took the liberty of checking the oven temperature with a Digital Multimeter that has a temperature probe. I was amazed to see the variance in temperature when the oven was set to 200°F (93°C). The highest temperature  saw was  201° F (94°C) and the lowest was 161°F (72°C). In my opinion that is not good news.