Recipe Discussions > Vegetables, Cheese, Nuts

Smoked Almonds.

(1/7) > >>

Divey:
I searched through and found as many smoked almond recipes I could find. Many of them had cayenne, chili and other spices but I just wanted smoked almonds as you buy them.

I have noticed that the commercial bought smoked almonds have very fine salt on them so I ground table salt in the mortar and pestle until I was happy with the texture. I had about 900 grams of almonds and I used one tablespoon of safflower oil and coated the almonds with that so the ground salt would stick to them. I smoked them for 2 hours with apple flavoured bisquettes, however, I was of the opinion that there was not enough smokiness so I did them again for another two hours using mesquite.

They are very good now, and, I'm rather happy with the flavour and appearance.

tskeeter:
Divey, I'm salivating.  Those almonds look really good!

piratey:
I was smoking canadian bacon this last weekend and had some space in the smoker, so I looked up smoked almond recipes.  I saw one that had me soak my almonds in water for 10 minutes, apply regular table salt and then 30 minutes of smoke.  I was using oak pellets.  Soaking the almonds helped the salt to stick and it ended up working pretty well.  I did think the smokiness was lacking a bit, so I'll increase the smoke time next time.  All in all, I liked it.  Only took me two days to finish the almonds, they were pretty addictive.

Divey:
It is amazing that the almonds don't really like to take on the smoked flavour as you would expect. Considering that I gave them a total of 4 hours just does not sound right. However, that extra time with the oven set at 105°C  has made the almonds really nice and crunchy.

A couple of friends demolished a fair few last night with a few home made lagers.

scubadoo97:
I find they do take on considerable smoke flavor but it blooms as they rest a day or two

I've done them wet and dry. Most often I brine them in a mixture of bourbon, salt and a little brown sugar then smoke. I use perforated pans which helps the smoke get in and around the nuts

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version