Elk Head Cheese

Started by wyogoob, April 20, 2015, 12:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyogoob

Elk head and a neck pieces:

Cut into pieces.  Discard the brains.  Eating elk brains is not recommended:

Cut up the pig's feet:

Simmer until meat falls off bones:

Cut the cooked meat into odd-sized small pieces.  Note that consuming the eyes of wild game is not recommended:

Strain the broth and add the ingredients:

Cook the broth down.  Periodically pull off some broth and chill to check for firmness.  This "nose jelly" is just right:

The souse slices cleanly:

The recipe comes from justgamerecipes.com and was loosely followed:

1 - elk head plus the heart, tongue and trimmings
5 - pig's feet cut in half
1/2 cup - Salt
1 gallon Water

For each 3 lbs meat:
1 tbsp - salt
1 tsp - freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp - minced fresh garlic
1 tbsp - onion flakes
1 tbsp - red and green pepper flakes
1 tsp - allspice
1/2 tsp - ground cloves
1 to 1 1/2 cups - apple cider vinegar

Clean the head by removing the eyes, ears, brains and all the skin. Trim off all the fat. Cut head into pieces and soak in brine made of 1/2 cup salt added to one gallon of water for at least 6 hours. This will draw out the blood.
Drain the pieces and rinse thoroughly in clean water. Place the head pieces in a large pot, add the pig's feet and the meat trimmings. Cover with hot water, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the meat can be removed from the bone.

Trim the meat from the bones and chop.  Weigh the meat. Strain the broth, then let it boil down until you have 4 cups broth for each 3 pounds meat.  Mix 1 to 1 1/3 cups of vinegar with the 4 cups of broth.  Add the meat to the broth with the seasonings. Heat the mixture, simmer 15 minutes. Pour out some sample broth and then refrigerate to check for firmness before filling casings or pans.  The gelatin from the cooked pig's feet should make the broth jell adequately.  If for some reason a firmer jelly is needed, add 1 tsp gelatin softened in 1 tbsp for each 2 cups of liquid.  Cook broth down some more if needed. Pour into bread pans, cover and chill until firm. 

Life's been good to me so far.

Grouperman941

I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?