• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New to smoking, reading lot's, but still intimidated...

Started by Greek Wizard, May 10, 2015, 01:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Wizard

Hi all,

First time smoker from Calgary, Alberta, Canada..

Recently bought a new 4-Rack Digital Food Smoker (BTDS76P) for a "smoking deal" (sorry for the pun) and it's been sitting there on my back deck staring at me begging to be used.

My smoker friends told me to "oil" it up first (run cooking oil on all the stainless steel parts) so the first smoke does not have a bad smell, then they told me to get a thermometer so I grabbed a Maverick ET-735. I have the cover, I have some extra jerky trays, damn I sure look the part of a smoker now, but I still have no idea what I am doing.

My wife wants us to try and do pulled pork first, and I have read dozens of pages on what rub, and how to do this and that, and geez my head hurts. Most are similar, but so many people have different temps, and pull it in an oven after or some put it in a cooler, man I am so confused.

I honestly feel slightly scared and intimidated by all the information to even attempt my first smoke, and hope I don't regret trying this new hobby by screwing it badly on my first time.

I have downloaded recipes, and have bookmarked pages, but bottom line... just a few questions if you don't mind...

• Do I need to do anything before I start my smoker up for the first time (yes I read the manual, and it's all set up waiting to go). is this "oiling I am being told to do" correct?
  • Is there a "pulled pork for Dummies" recipe/writeup that i have missed that someone can pass along.
  • What is the easiest thing to screw up, and how do I make sure I don't do it?
  • Is there a checklist of what I need in the kitchen, or what i need to do before even starting?

Thanks guys, sorry for sounding stupid, but I hate to screw something up and have my wife give me "that look", you know what i mean?

ANY help would be appreciated for this specific smoker..

Wildcat

Pulled pork is the easiest thing to smoke and the most forgiving. Here is a simple method that makes perfect pulled pork.

Trim most of the fat off. I recommend your leave a little of the fat cap "1/8 Inch or less". Look for Iceman's Oinker Rub or Jan's Rub and make a batch up. Real easy. Take meat out of fridge, rub with EVOO and apply rub. Let it sit on the counter for an hour or two to warm up a bit. Turn on your smoker and puck burner (without the pucks) to warm up as high as it will go. When it is time to put the meat in do so with fat cap up. Put it 16 wood pucks (for a large butt) plus either 2 more or bubba pucks if you have them. Hit the puck advance button slowly 3 times. The first puck should be on the burner. From this point I recommend your cook your meat at a temp of around 210 degrees f. Anywhere between 200 and 230 is fine. Exact temps are not important with pulled pork. IMHO the 210 range is perfect. The smoke will continue for 4 hours. This is all you need for a large butt. The remainder of the cooking process can be done in the smoker or in your house oven. After the smoke portion all you are doing is cooking. It may take 16 to 24 hours to get done at this temp. Many say to cook to a meat temp of 190. That is a rough estimate. The slower it cooks the lower the "done temperature" will be. Use the fork test. Insert fork and give a little twist periodically after it reaches 165. The fork will easily twist when the beast is done. FTC is not necessary on pulled pork. (Perhaps if you cook it at high temps). When it is done put on the counter an loosely cover with foil to rest until it is cool enough to handle. You can FTC it but I would recommend you not unless it will be 4 or 5 hours until dinner time. FTC is great for keeping it hot. You need to FTC brisket.

Regarding the oil - do not bother. Just do what the book tells you. DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED. The worst that can happen is that your beast is not perfect. Most likely your worst outcome will be better that most eating establishments.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Your friends told you wrong.  You need to season your smoker. Roll smoke at 150 for 3 hours to take care of the residual oils.  After that?  My friend Wildcat has you good to go.  Don't flip out when the internal temp of the meat stalls.  That's when the magic happens.   

Grouperman941

As far as being intimidated, just take small steps. Pick something that interests you and try it. It is really hard to ruin food in the smoker.

Cook to recommended ITs, and even if you did something 'wrong' it should be good to eat.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Greek Wizard

Thank you guys (especially Wildcat), I am going to try tomorrow.

Wish me luck :)

P.S. Will I always have to enter verification when I reply, or will it go away after I make xx posts or here xx months?

manfromplaid

goes away after a few posts.  the rub recipe's that you find here are great and simple to make. I use jans rub on just about everything that will go into the smoker. try other store bought rubs so you can find what will go over well with your household. like habs says don't get worried when the meat stays (stalls) at the 165 range for a couple hours its just the way it works.  good luck and welcome to the forum.

beefmann

welcome aboard and the others have  set you  straight,  As for a few things to remember here .. in the  smoking world  is that we cook more by temperature Rather then by time,.,, this way  we know   when it is  done, a lot of  factors can  come into play such as how much  moisture is in the  meat, other  conditions around the  smoker,  the temperature,  winds,, rain,... how well your  smoker  keeps the  box temp.

best things to remember is
1) keep the top  vent  wide  open
2) no opening the  door
3) no opening the  door
4) use a remote thermometer to monitor the  meat 
5 ) realize that you are on a  learning  curve and it  will take some practice.. do not let it  get you  down
6) if you  have  questions .. ask,,, we  were  all new  once and we here to help

a  few items to have in your smoking  tool  kit

1) a remote thermometer like et 732 or et 735
2) a  good pair of high temp rubber  gloves
3) a table that you  can  place your  food on next to the  smoker as you  use it

good luck and welcome aboard

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

piratey

When I first started, I was intimidated as well, but it really gets easier when you do a recipe a few times and get confident.  The advice you read about on different places is just that, advice.  You really need to learn how your equipment performs in your area and climate to produce great good.  The difference between smoking in snowy North Dakota and sunny California is quite striking.  Just go smoke something and follow general food safety guidelines, you'll be fine.  Let us know when you have questions.

Smoker John

Welcome aboard, you're in the right place if you have any questions.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712