Help Needed on Bradley's Famous Hot Smoked Salmon

Started by Jack D, June 03, 2015, 09:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack D

Reposting this under the Fish category hoping for some feedback from those who have used the Bradley recipe.  I'm new to the Forum and new to smoking having only recently purchased a Bradley. 
After catching a nice Chinook (20lb) I decided to stupidly risk the whole fish on 'Bradley's Famous Hot Smoked Salmon' recipe (my 3rd recipe on the smoker but my first hot smoke.
I think I followed the recipe fairly closely but ended up with a very salty product (inedible except in very small doses).  When reviewing other hot smoked salmon recipes online the Bradley recipe seems to have a higher ratio of salt to sugar and is alone with not washing the residual cure off the filets before smoking.
Would appreciate your comments on those who have used this recipe with or without success.   
Thanks,
Jack D

Habanero Smoker

Hi Jack D;

Welcome to the forum.

I've never tried that recipe, but it defiantely looks like if you apply the mixture too heavily, you will end up with very salty fish. A lot of members on this forum have made Kummok's Bradley Smoked Wild Alaskan Salmon. It is a wet brine, and everyone gets good results. Kummok usually follows that thread and you may get a reply from him.

You can also find this recipe at "Old's Place"; Excellent BRADLEY Smoked Alaskan Salmon

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Jack D

I looked at Kummok's recipe and from the many comments it certainly appears to be a winner.  However, from the amount of sugar I had assumed this was more of a 'candied' salmon which wasn't what I was after in trying Bradley's FHSS recipe (or am I wrong in this assumption?).

I have made one batch of candied salmon with some reasonable results although will opt for Kummok's recipe next time around.

Thanks,
Jack

Grouperman941

Quote from: Jack D on June 04, 2015, 08:38:44 AM
I looked at Kummok's recipe and from the many comments it certainly appears to be a winner.  However, from the amount of sugar I had assumed this was more of a 'candied' salmon which wasn't what I was after in trying Bradley's FHSS recipe (or am I wrong in this assumption?).

I have made one batch of candied salmon with some reasonable results although will opt for Kummok's recipe next time around.

Thanks,
Jack

Kummok's recipe is not candied salmon at all.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Habanero Smoker

As stated by Grouperman941, it is not candied salmon. I don't like foods that are too sweet. It has the right amount of sugar to balance the salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 04, 2015, 12:51:29 PM
As stated by Grouperman941, it is not candied salmon. I don't like foods that are too sweet. It has the right amount of sugar to balance the salt.
I'll vouch for that!  ;)

pmmpete

Quote from: Jack D on June 03, 2015, 09:19:50 PM
When reviewing other hot smoked salmon recipes online the Bradley recipe seems to have a higher ratio of salt to sugar and is alone with not washing the residual cure off the filets before smoking.
The first time that you try a new recipe, brine and smoke the fish in exactly the manner specified in the recipe.  That will maximize your chances of getting a good result.

However, once I'm familiar with a recipe, after I take the fish out of the brine, I prefer not to wipe, blot, or rinse off the fish, because that adds another variable to the process.  I prefer to just take the fillets out of the brine, slap them on my smoker racks, dry them off in front of a fan until the fish develops a pedicle, and then stick them in the smoker.  I learn through a bit of trial and error that putting a certain kind of fish fillets of a certain thickness and with skin still on in a specific brine for for a specific amount of time, and then slapping it on the racks, produces good results.  Adding wiping, blotting, or rinsing to the process just makes it harder to get reliable good results. 

Kummok

Can't really add much to the good advice already given...except to apologize for tardy response...just getting back into the swing of things after completing a too long period of chemo...life is great once again!
As pmmPete said, consistency is a goal...recognizing that there are variables in salmon, e.g. kind, size, etc, stick with the method you like then adjust your consistent method to the particular salmon you're smoking. Once you get that to a comfortable stage, all gates are open to experiment away...my recipe and method were always intended to give one a successful "launch platform"...many seem to stick with it, while others add/subtract as their own tastes dictate. Have fun and 'Keep On Smoookin'"!!

Mr Walleye

Sorry to temporarily hijack the thread!

Great to see you back around the forum Kummok!

Sorry to hear you had to endure chemo and I certainly hope everything was successful.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Kummok

ThanX, Mike!

Toxins did everything they were supposed to do...salmon got a break but I'll catch up with them!  ;)

tskeeter

Kummok, brother in law was at Iliamna last week.  From the pics, the fishin was fine.  Extraordinarily fine!  Must have been a long time on the slime line.

Looking forward to gift fish that is flying it's way south!

Kummok

Fish are definitely in, judging by all the nets on top of the cars on the highway!