Are my pucks smoking properly?

Started by joerp1, June 30, 2015, 09:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joerp1

I received a Bradley Digital two-rack smoker as a gift and have used it 5 times now with varying levels of success.  I'll spare you the details, but I think most of the problems have been resolved now.
One concern I do have is whether the heating element for the pucks is getting hot enough to create the proper amount of smoke.  I can smell the sweetness of the smoke while cooking (and for days afterwards), but I don't see much smoke being generated unless I open the smoker door or if I shake the exhaust tube a little.  The thin wisps of smoke are more like a steamy mist than billowing smoke.  The pucks when ejected into the water do not appear to be browned or charred at all--I am concerned I am wasting them, as they do not look much different when finished cooking than they do when they come right out of the package. 
The last time I used the unit, at one point I thought something was on fire because smoke all of a sudden came billowing out.  This only lasted a couple of minutes, and that particular puck was charred black on the bottom (as I would expect to see from a smoker). 
So now I'm wondering whether that one charred puck was the result of an isolated overheating issue, or whether that charred puck was normal and all of the other pucks I've used were underheated and wasted.
The accolades for this product remark about how the pucks do not ignite and therefore do not impart a bitter burnt taste to the food; but I just want to make sure that the thin wisps of smoke I am creating are normal and not a defect.  I've made some phenomenal foods so far, but I can't tell if I'm really smoking my meals or just using a really elaborate convection oven.
Please let me know if my unit is working properly so that I can focus on perfecting my craft!

Habanero Smoker

Hi joerp1;

Welcome to the forum.

Generally my bisquettes burn to a complete char, but several times they don't. Below is a reply I sent to another member.

The most common problem is build up of creosote, and carbon on the burner plate. Another cause could be cabinet temperature. The lower I keep the cabinet temperature also has an effect on how my bisquettes burn. It seems when I use lower temperatures, or using a cold smoke setup, the bisquettes don't burn as completely. Having an appliance on the same circuit that is drawing a lot of power, while you are smoking will prevent the burner plate from reaching it's maximum heat. If you have an infrared thermometer, the temperature of the burn plate should be around 550°F, measured dead center of the plate. Then also there are the bisquettes themselves. Sometimes I get bisquettes that are compressed a lot tighter than others. The ones that are  compressed tighter do not burn as well. Several have stated that the moisture content in the bisquette has an effect on how they will burn. More moisture, less burn.

Another thought, check how long it takes for the generator to cycle a bisquette. Set a kitchen timer for 20 minutes, push the advance button, then load two bisquettes into the chute and leave. Come back when about 18 minutes has lapsed. If the generator cycles the bisquettes close to 20 minutes, there is no problem. If you find a bisquette had already cycled, when you returned, then the problem could be the bisquettes are not sitting on the burn plate long enough.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

joerp1

Thank you Habanero.
I'm glad you confirmed that your pucks are charred.  My pucks aren't even remotely charred, so clearly something is wrong.
I've been cooking at a relatively warm 225, and it was a brand new unit without any possible creosote build-up, but your reference to another appliance in use made me think--I've been powering the smoker with a cheapo extension cord that I probably bought at a dollar store.  It doesn't even have the 3rd prong to make a grounded circuit.  I'll try using a different power source this weekend with the hope that perhaps my problem could simply be due to not enough juice making it to the heating element.
I'll also try timing the feeder, but I suspect the problem has more to do with the heating element not getting hot enough.
Have a great 4th! 

Habanero Smoker

Your extension cord is at least part of the problem. You should replace that immediately with a three prong electrical cord. Without the Bradley being properly grounded, there is a good possibility of electrical shock occurring. The minimum size cord you should get is 14 gauge, but 12 gauge would be better.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoker John

Just an fyi if you are timing the feeder, for the 2 rack they burn for 30 minutes rather than the 20 that the 4 and 6 racks do.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712