Smoking 4 8lb Pork Shoulders, how long?

Started by sideout, July 02, 2015, 11:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sideout

This is the first time I've done this many pork shoulders and hope I didn't start these too soon!!

If I have (4) 8lb Pork Shoulders, do I estimate smoking time (225 temp)  by the TOTAL of pounds or smoke them as just an 8lb Shoulder as they're individual?

manfromplaid

its going to finish faster. time for 8 lbs   1.5 hrs per plus some     looking at 12to 16 hrs most likely. I am doing 2- 9 pounders right now and I expect it to be 12 to 16 hrs. a lot will depend on the pig and how often the door is opened.  wait thru the stall  and keep an eye on the temps  good luck

sideout

Soooo.... lesson learned for me. I totaled up EVERYTHING, and not counted as 4 individual! It's going to be done basically two DAYS too soon.. should I let it finish, then FTC for 4 hours, then re-heat the day of the 4th?

Ka Honu

In general, pulled pork is best a day (or month) or so after cooking. It seems to allow the flavors to meld/mellow.

Go through the FTC phase and then decide whether you want to (vacuum) bag and store (fridge or for longer time, freeze) in big chunks or already pulled (personal preference rules here). When you're ready to use, thaw (if frozen) and reheat slowly (sous vide style or in a slow oven or crockpot).

I almost always smoke 2-3 butts at a time and then freeze in 1.5-2 lb bags so I don't have to go through the whole process every time someone wants some.

Grouperman941

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 02, 2015, 01:37:15 PM
In general, pulled pork is best a day (or month) or so after cooking. It seems to allow the flavors to meld/mellow.

Go through the FTC phase and then decide whether you want to (vacuum) bag and store (fridge or for longer time, freeze) in big chunks or already pulled (personal preference rules here). When you're ready to use, thaw (if frozen) and reheat slowly (sous vide style or in a slow oven or crockpot).

I almost always smoke 2-3 butts at a time and then freeze in 1.5-2 lb bags so I don't have to go through the whole process every time someone wants some.

The truth.

Since it's only two days, I would FTC, then pull when convenient, and seal up tight and leave in the fridge until go time. I like to reheat in a big skillet on low heat, but others use oven or slow cooker. If it seems dry (taste -- don't go by looks), stir in a splash of apple juice or similar liquid. Even water. Fresh out of the smoker keeps very well for several days at least. I would reheat in batches so that most of the leftovers stay cold and don't get reheated multiple times.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

manfromplaid

its all a learning process. keep a record of how long it take how much meat went in temps wood type  etc etc  u can go back and check later for reference on the next cook. like the others say  it will taste better after a couple days. myself I won't FTC if its going in the fridge right away. I let it rest and cool for about an hour then pull it and bag it. works for me but its how u want to do it. time and taste find what works.

sideout

Everyone...

Thanks for your input and replies, I feel more at ease! Definitely a learning lesson, but I'm glad to know the flavor should improve sitting a couple days in the fridge and nothing lost :)

Ka Honu

Don't forget to save and defat your drippings. They're great for adding back in when reheating, making sauces, etc.

manfromplaid

and now you have to find and make some sauce. I made one today using a recipe from meatheads site. a kanas city sauce with a sweet and sour profile, first time with this one and I like it so far. I also like  bulldog BBQ sauce which u can find on the http://www.susanminor.org/ site, have fun.

Spliner

I tend to FTC, then pull, then vac seal mine.  If the BBQ is for the 4th, don't freeze, just refrigerate in the coldest spot in your fridge.  When it comes time to re-heat, I generally boil some water, turn it down to simmer and put in the vacuum sealed bags until it's above say 150F to 180F or so.  That keeps it from drying out in a pan or slow cooker.  Done that way it seems as good if not better than the day I made it. 

If you FTC it long enough before pulling the meat should be good and moist, once it cools enough to be refrigerated just cover and refrigerate until it's below 40F then vac seal.  That'll keep all the juices intact and it won't screw up the seals on your vacuum sealer (because a lot of the juices will congeal with the meat in the fridge before sealing). 

Anyway,  just my .02. 

I think pulled pork is the thing I've made the most in the Bradley next to ribs.  I'll be putting in my second attempt at Pachanga's brisket tonight.  Wish me luck! The first attempt failed last year.  Turned out too tough and dry. 

Spliner

manfromplaid

got mine finished at 4 am this morning. you just never know when the pig decides to be done. I planned for 12 to 16 and it took 20. had a late breakfast of pulled pork and eggs and figure the time spent is well spent. hope yours turns out as well.