Attempting First cheese smoke

Started by Thompsoncentre, September 08, 2015, 03:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thompsoncentre

So I have a bunch of questions before I get started so I'm just going to lay them all out there.
I am going to smoke without an adapter.
How long do I smoke for?
Once done. Do I vac seal immediately?
If not opened how long will it last sealed in fridge? And can you freeze it?
I think I am going to start with cheese strings. Is there any cheese that is not good? I don't see to many people using blocks of Kraft or cracker barrel cheese. Can I use this?
Thanks for your answers and will post pics once done!

Jim O

I've never done string cheese, only cut up blocks, but the most important thing is the temp. I keep it below 90# . I smoke for 2 - 2/12 hrs tops, with the vent wide open. If the temp starts to rise, you can put a bowl of ice in the bottom. I use an A-MAZ-N tube and it's great! I then leave the smoked cheese on the counter for a couple of hours, then vac seal. I store in the fridge and have  found some "lost: cheese many months later and it was still great. Remember to let it age for 3-4 weeks before you try it, or you will be disappointed. I've never frozen cheese as I read that it becomes crumbly when used out of the freezer. I've done most cheeses and ,although I have my favourates, all are good IMHO. I also made a small cold smoke adapter and it works well. You can go as simple as a cardboard box for an adapter. Incidentally,welcome to the "club" !
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

meyer lemon

Try a one year aged Gouda...you want be disappointed!

manfromplaid

it will last a long time after it's vac sealed sitting in the fridge. i have just started to use the cheese i smoked last dec.  as to how much smoke to apply- its better to do less then more till u find the right amount for your taste. i started with 80 minutes worth (4 pucks)and have stayed there. nice middle ground for those that like more and those that like less in my house. i use apple but you can try any flavor. the stronger the wood the less smoke you want but the less penatration you get. IMO  and yes it must sit in the fridge for 3 or more weeks to age. try some right after its smoked to know why.

pensrock

I have had un vac packed cheese in the fridge for well over a year and had no problems with mold. Now once you cut into a block then it can get moldy over time.

Thompsoncentre

RedJada

I dont have a cold smoke adapter. Depending on out side temp, put ice cubes in your puck bowl. In warm outside temps I have even put a block of ice on a rack and/or you can crack the door. Just stay below 90 degrees.

You can use any cheese. I just use Kraft or store brand block cheese, etc... Don't worry, your only going to make it better.  Have done blu cheese and it's great for salads, burgers and steaks. You will want to let your cheese rest for 30-60 minutes after smoking, use a paper towel to wipe off the sweat after cooled and seal away. Once vac sealed, it will last for a long time and it can you can freeze it as well.

I like to smoke with apple or maple for an hour, hour and a half.

There are three things you need to do when smoking cheese for the first time to see if your going like it.

1. Taste the cheese before you smoke it
2. Taste the cheese right out of the smoker.
3. Taste the cheese 4-6 weeks after smoking.

Thinking you'll be loading your smoker with all kinds of cheese after you do #3

ragweed

You've received some great advice.  I agree completely.  But I didn't see an answer to the string cheese question you had.  So, my answer is absolutely!!!  That's the one kind of cheese I must have ready to eat at all times in our house.  To keep the temp below 90* F I use 16 oz plastic soda bottles filled with water and frozen.

Thompsoncentre

Thanks guys! Awesome advice. So I smoked for 4 pucks. I only let sit for about 20 mins and did not wipe of sweat. ( I was done before you posted that part).  :-\

tskeeter

TC, I wouldn't worry about the sweat too much.  I don't wipe off the sweat before I package up the cheese for aging, and I've never had a problem.  In our low humidity climate, I've never experienced heavy sweat, but the primary advantage that I see to wiping is that it might help ensure that moisture doesn't get into the seal area of your vac pouch and cause sealing problems.  On the other hand, I suspect that the sweat contains compounds that would add flavor to your cheese.  So why wipe away the flavor, unless you have to so that your pouches will seal well?

manfromplaid

now comes the hard part,waiting long enough. at least 3 weeks and did you try a little piece before it was sealed? i have found that the cheese i smoke at home has more of a smokey flavor the the store bought ones. some might find it to strong to just nibble on but used in different cooked dishs or as a grilled cheese sammy the flavers can be outstanding. i am sure this will be only the first of many batches. 

werwin

i don't mean to hijack the post  but no need to start another with all the help here.
but is cheesecloth necessary when smoking cheese?
tony

Bear1968

No .... The most important thing is case temp. You want it as low as you can get it. You can help this along in warmer times of year by placing a large pan above your cheese and try and do it on a cool night. The Bradley Cold Smoke attachment works well or you can use something like the A-MAZE-N pellet smoker.
Something like a frogmat is not bad but totally cosmetic in my opinion and not needed. Just remember to seal the cheese and leave it alone for several weeks. I go several months.  ;)
UBC Local 268

tskeeter

Quote from: manfromplaid on September 11, 2015, 07:24:51 AM
now comes the hard part,waiting long enough. at least 3 weeks and did you try a little piece before it was sealed? i have found that the cheese i smoke at home has more of a smokey flavor the the store bought ones. some might find it to strong to just nibble on but used in different cooked dishs or as a grilled cheese sammy the flavers can be outstanding. i am sure this will be only the first of many batches.

At our house, we have heavily smoked cooking cheese and more lightly smoked eating cheese.  The amount of smoke is controlled with puck selection (I smoking eating cheese with a lightly flavored wood.  My choice is apple, but maple, cherry, or alder, would be similar.), and by adjusting the duration of the smoke application.