Smoking fish, temp dropping

Started by russ austin, September 15, 2015, 12:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ austin

I'm smoking fish for the first time. 

Temp first hour; 110
second hour; 140
finish at;      155

Im at the finish stage, and the internal temp of the fish is dropping.  It started at 152, and now is at 118

Whats going on?

watchdog56

Well if the meat is flakey I would say it is done. Did you close your vent? If so you should open it all the way. Never run with vent closed or even 1/4 open, it creates moisture which cools your meat. I run mine all open all the time. Did you cabinet shut down? If your cabinet is on, is your element heating up? Maybe your element went out. Just some things to check on. Hopefully these will answer your problem or someone else may come along and give some more tips.

Habanero Smoker

If you are referring to the internal temperature of the fish, then something is definitely wrong. Was the cabinet temperature still at 155°F, when the internal temperature started to fall? If the cabinet temperature was the same, I would say there is something wrong with the probe, and/or the placement of the probe when you took the measurements; but 34 degrees and a wide difference, for a thin cut like fish.

What are you using to measure the internal temperature?

What was the approximate time it took the fish to fall from 152°F to 118°F?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bear1968

If you are talking about case Temp and it fell from 152 to 118 this time of year I would guess that your main element went on you.  Just running the Pucks should keep the box around 120 this time of year.
UBC Local 268