Heavy Smoke

Started by slowpoke, September 21, 2015, 03:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowpoke

I had to smoke another butter ball turkey yesterday.Ha ha.So I set up the smoke generator to start smoking 20 min. before a puck went on the burner.This way the burner was preheated when the puck went on the burner and would burn up completly.I also left the water out of the dish to make sure the puck burned up all the way.After 4hrs. of Hickory,I got the best smoke I ever had.The heavy smoke is there and the 15 spice rub flavor is there (put the rub on Wed.night,smoked Sun.) and I swear I can taste turkey too.Happy Smoking.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

KyNola

I sincerely hope that you eventually placed water in the bowl, especially with something as fatty as an injected butterball turkey.  Otherwise I fear you may have some heavy smoke that you don't want. :o 

Seriously, you are greatly increasing the risk of a grease fire with no water in the bowl.  All it takes is for grease to drip down on to the hot smoldering pucks.

slowpoke

I was concerned about a grease fire too.Should have mentioned I used my cold smoking setup,and a drip tray with pan under the drip hole. ;D Because it's a butter ball the turkey came out juicy.I really appreciate the concern though.I have seen a few pictures of smoke house grease fires.NOT pretty.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

KyNola

Yep, that set up makes a big difference. ;D