Micro switch on BTDS76P

Started by jdadams1218, December 14, 2015, 07:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdadams1218

Went to use the smoker yesterday and the puck shuttle continued to move pucks non stop.  Took the smoke generator apart to find that the micro switch had come unscrewed. In addition to finding the two screws in the cabinet I also found a green plastic piece the same size as the micro switch with two holes located in the same position. I first thought this to be a spacer for under the switch but if I tried to use it that way the screws were not long enough to attach the switch.  I screwed the switch back in without that piece and things seem to work fine.

Does any one have any idea what the piece is and were it goes?  Thanks in advance for any assistance. 

TedEbear

Here's a closeup of the micro switch mounted.  I'm not sure what the green plastic piece is for.

Habanero Smoker

If you look at the picture that is posted, there is a yellow "spacer" between the micro switch and the generator plate. Was it a similar shape to the one that is in the photo. That spacer could be green, but it may show up yellow on the monitor, or when I adjusted the colors it may have turned it from green to yellow.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jdadams1218

Thanks.  Just as I suspected.  It looks as if it is a spacer.  Screws are too short with the spacer in place.  Seemed to work fine without.  Will hold on to it in case I run into issues.

Orion

The plastic spacer is more than likely intended as an "isolator".  Micro switches often have thin insulating shim between the switch body and the structure to which they are mounted. This would insulate it electrically and isolate it from heat transfer and act as a cushion.

If the shape and hole pattern of the plastic piece mirror the switch body it is definitely intended to be there. The reason your switch came off is probably because the screws put in during manufacturing were too short and did not tighten correctly. Thus when you went to re-install it the screws came up as too short. I'd look for some longer screws and put the isolator back into the assembly. JMO.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

jdadams1218

Thanks for the advise.  I will re-install the spacer/isolator.