2nd Element, Fan and Burner Mod

Started by Orion, November 01, 2015, 07:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghosttown

So cutting out the chute will make the puck on the burner flat so its not on a angle right. I will still need to adjust the wholes as you mentioned so the puck gets pushed more on the burner. I guess to do this I will need to drill new burner wholes. How big of the screws did you use to do the drop? Love this others helping others :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Orion

Yes, cut a small crescent moon shape from the chute that mirrors the radius of the puck. It does not have to be too big, just enough to allow the puck to clear the chute . To re-attach the burner after cutting the chute I used two 3/16ths bolts about 1/4" long. This gave me enough length to install 3 washers between the chute frame and burner which in turn lowered the burner by the depth of the 3 washers.

I am going to run a trial smoke before I consider moving the burner closer to the chute. I want to see how well the first mod improves puck burning and prevents pre-ignition. IF the pucks burn evenly it will not be necessary to reposition the burner.

Again, look closely at the pics I posted and you shouldn't have any problems. Be aware, if your unit is less than a year old these changes may affect your warranty.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

ghosttown

Thanks let me know how it goes, I had my until for about 2-3years so warranty came and gone

Orion

I must thank renoman as he is the one that first thought of altering the feed chute and posted all his information and pictures which was a great help to me in making my adjustments. Thanks renoman!

Rider14

Don't you want the second puck to ignite before the consumed puck drops to ensure there is always smoke? Orion, I love your mods to the smoker, but by having only one puck burn at a time, you are adding minutes where there is no smoke while the new new puck has to heat up. I believe the 'pre-ignition' is by design...  Or no? Anyone know for sure?

-Dan

Orion

You could have a valid point Rider14. Remember though, one puck always contacts the next in line so if the mod improves the combustion of the first one by placing it flat on the burner there is no danger of it not beginning to burn the second one. Also, the next puck in line is brought up in temperature by its proximity to the burner so will ignite readily when it arrives on the burner.

Renoman did this mod some time ago. Maybe he will chime in with his results. I will report as soon as I test it out. I just got tired of partially burnt pucks because they weren't laying flat on the burner.

Orion

Had a request for detail on the light and fan assy.

CentDoss89

I too was reading and really wanted to know a little more about your light and fan electrical. How are you wiring these and still having the sg and elements going? Also I may have missed it and I get the clamp sizes you used for your second element...but are those just stainless steel spacers? If so how tall are they what I'D and bolt size did you use?

Orion

Quote from: CentDoss89 on November 17, 2015, 09:13:00 PM
I too was reading and really wanted to know a little more about your light and fan electrical. How are you wiring these and still having the sg and elements going? Also I may have missed it and I get the clamp sizes you used for your second element...but are those just stainless steel spacers? If so how tall are they what I'D and bolt size did you use?

For the time being I have just put an electrical plug on the end of the wiring for both the fan and the light. These are plugged into a power bar which I run off a different home circuit than the circuit powering the elements and SG. My intent is to put a receptacle on the smoker and then a switch on the light and fan plugs so they can be turned on and off independently.

The spacers for the second element are aluminum alloy and are about 1 inch long. It doesn't matter what material you use as long as it is food safe and can tolerate oven temps. The hardware is 3/16ths, otherwise known as 10-32. About 1 1/4" long screws. Notice the fender washers I used under the outer clamps hardware to provide a better platform and clamp effect for the outer clamps.

CentDoss89

As far as your second element goes did you do the simple wire loop from first element or did you do yours on a separate switch to be able to turn the element on and off. I'm getting ready to purchase all the things to modify my Bradley with the second element and dual probe pid to start then go onto the light and fan mod.

Just with so many instructions out there on this it's hard to figure out the best route to go. I like the idea of the switch but at the same time I think that's what the PID is for? I don't know as I am very new to the electric smoker world.

Any help and guidance from anyone who has accomplished this is appreciated and instead of taking over the post please message me any details you all have.

Thanks

manfromplaid

centdoss89: I have the duel element mod and I run it without a switch. my pid does all the work and recovery times are quick. IMO just wire it in and use all the time.

ghosttown

I would do the same, don't need to install a switch the PID is made to do all the work. With my 900 watt mod the recovery time is unreal even now with weather below -4C it is amazing, also the enclosure does help alot.

Habanero Smoker

One of the reasons I installed a switch, is as a safety backup. If my temperature controller failed, I can easily shut off the second element and run it as a stock Bradley. Secondly, I store my Bradley outside 24/7, under a Bradley cover. There are several times when I smoke/cook something I don't need the temperature controller, or the extra heat; so I can just run my Bradley without hooking everything up. Third, sometimes I will just want to test a recipe just using the stock features of the Bradley, to see how long it will take from start to finish; using one element.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manfromplaid

as you can see, there are different opinion's so the best way is to do what you think will work best for yourself.

ghosttown

Couldn't agree more :)